Alzheimer’s

My husband had Alzheimer’s for about 10 years and died in June. I thought that this awful disease was all I had to cope with and welcomed an end to his suffering. But since he died I now feel a terrible sense of loss. I was lonely while he was ill but I had sense purpose making sure that he was well cared for

1 Like

It must have been so difficult for you. I’m so sorry. It’s only been 12 months since my mum was diagnosed yet I can imagine a liitle how empty you may feel now there are no caring duties. I lost my husband in 2016 and have been pondering on just how little progress I have made so although I can’t offer any helpful advice, there will be for sure many that may offer you some. I do though send compassionate thoughts.

Thank you Tina for your reply. I hope your Mum is ok.xx

1 Like

I was diagnosed with dementia in 2017, i lost my husband in 2015 and I’m very lonely i dread it getting worse

I am so sorry about your illness. I hope you are getting help from your doctor and your friends. You need to ask for help, people are glad to do so. Also look for support groups like age concern. Good luck x

hello Jackie. I’m so sorry to read about what’s happened to you and your Husband. I cant imagine how fearful you must be of the future. I can’t recall if you mention having family but I hope there are family and friends to lean on. I’m thinking you are on medication for the Dementia? Hopefully in the non too distant future there’ll be a research breakthrough or in any case maybe a new treatment breakthrough. I’m sending you the warmest of wishes. like Cid says, don’t feel afraid of asking for help.

I’m under the mental health team ive got nobody but my friend

I’m under the mental health team ive got nobody but my friend and my dog im on donezipil for my dementia

hello again Jackie. I’m glad you have a friend Jackie and of course your dog. do you know something, sometimes a friend can be so much more helpful than family. my Mums Alzheimers was made worse by a broken hip and a stay in hospital and then her dog passed away unexpectedly. you’d think we’d pull together but the strain is just pulling us apart as a family. I think we need outside help. let your friend help in any way she can. She’ll want to. it can be hard to get the mental health help when you need it most so I imagine they’ll look after you well. it’s understandably worrying Jackie. take care and warm wishes.

thankyou x