Angry at a friend

I lost my 26 year old son in aug 2022. He had a head on collision on his motorbike with a car. Im struggling with depression & anxiety which i had before, but now ptsd.
A friend ive known since i was in my 20s recently lost her dog unexpectedly and reached out to me as she was so upset. That i understand as i do have dogs myself. Ive tried to be there for her like she has for me, but she put a post up on facebook saying how it was the worst thing that could ever happen and how devastated she was, and she could’nt imagine anything as bad as this. It hit a nerve because i thought, its not the worst, try losing a child. Ive pulled back from her because i feel im not the right person to help her with this. I understand shes grieving and i sympathise, its just shes had several friends lose kids now, and i just felt it was a bit insensitive. Am i a bad friend? I just cant deal with it. Im still going through a lot of trauma myself, and her grief is totally different from mine. I want to be there for her like she has been like me, but when she comes out with comments like its the worse thing ever imaginable to happen, i feel angry and i dont want to lose the friendship.

1 Like

I’m so sorry about your son, @Emduds. I’m just giving your thread a gentle “bump” - hopefully someone will be along to share their thoughts.

1 Like

Hello🤍, I’ve read your post and can resonate so much with what you have written. I’m so sorry you have lost your son. Learning to live the rest of our lives without our children is unbearable. There are no words to describe the pain.
Navigating friendships after is extremely challenging, we have no capacity to deal with other stuff and that’s ok. I completely understand how that has made you feel with your friend and her dog. It does seem incredibly insensitive I agree. I have no words of wisdom on this other than I get you. My circle is so very small, it’s easier managing grief on my own. No one can hurt me then with insensitive comments.
It’s a lonely path to be on. People think as well that after a certain amount of time we will feel better! I mean really? We will grieve for the rest of our lives for our children.
I don’t think friends mean to hurt us but it’s hard thinking this way and it makes me so angry.
I’m not sure if I’ve helped but I wanted to let you know I hear you and get it.
I lost my daughter 9 months ago , she was 28.
Keep talking and sending understanding and hugs xxx

2 Likes