Anticipated grief

My daughter has been ill with non alcohol liver disease for 6 years,life expectancy is 9 to 12 years,really struggling this past couple of days she’s in Spain on holiday and has an infection,normally I am up beat thinking one day at a time,and that we are lucky that we can still make lots of beautiful memories,but for some reason I now can’t stop crying,and feel guilty that it’s not me that is ill,I feel so alone,It s like a ticking time bomb never knowing when she is going to get really sick,she has 6 monthly scans,bloods and a biopsy once a year which is due on 30th December so that’s playing on my mind too,I am also angry that there is such a stigma with liver disease,first question people tend to ask me is she a drinker,feeling low.

Hello @MotherMary, I’m so sorry to hear about your daughter’s illness. I can see you’re new to the community and I hope you find it to be a support to you.

How you are feeling is completely understandable, and I am glad you’ve reached out here. You may want to read our Grief Guide article on Anticipatory grief. You may find it comforting to read to know that you are not alone in what you’re going through right now.

Do you think a little extra support might be helpful right now? The British Liver Trust are there for people who are living with liver disease, as well as their families. They have lots of different types of support available, including online support and support groups. If you take a look at their website, you can see what might be right for you.

Thank you again for reaching out - we are listening. Take care,

Seaneen

I can only say , I’m so sorry this must be awful for you , my heart goes out to you , you do you’re best remember that xxx his bless xx I’m in a sad place too and I so feel for you xxx

1 Like