Antidepressants

I’ve recently been put on sertraline by my Dr. Thing is while they do help to numb some of the pain/grief and stop me crying all day I’m unsure whether to continue taking them. For lack of a better description I feel stoned on them and have 2 small babies to take care of. I’ll also need weaning off them if I continue to take them and dont really want to be addicted to tablets. Has anyone else been on them? Is it worth it or shall I just struggle on through the grief?

6 Likes

My doctor put me on them last month I stopped within 3 days I was like a zombie made me worse

4 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t be keen on taking them. I practice breath control for crying episodes {I lost my wife in July unexpectedly and I cry a lot.} I’ve found that a deep breath in and slowly out several times gets it under control. Still feel miserable but at least I don’t annoy the other people on the bus.!

5 Likes

I’m very sorry for your loss nigel2. Thankyou for the advice I will give it a try

3 Likes

Thankyou pattidot. My babies are my concern and I don’t feel like I have been 100% present with them so havnt taken today’s tablet and probably wont take anymore. My eldest comes to wipe my tears and give me a cuddle when I cry although he doesn’t understand why as he’s too young. I’ll try walking with them before it all gets too much as when it hits I can’t get out the house. What you’ve said makes sense and I didn’t expect a quick fix, just something to take the edge off but these tablets are too much.

3 Likes

Thank you and it’s my pleasure to help.

1 Like

Well said Pattidot.

I’m so sorry for your loss @Butterfly1 and it must be so difficult taking care of 2 babies whilst grieving. However, I absolutely agree with Pattidot. Grief is not depression and I fear GPs dish out the tablets because they don’t know what else to do. There’s no easy fix I’m afraid but @Nigel2 gives good advice in breathing control. I’m currently reading a book called Breathe in, Breathe out. It’s written by Stuart Sandeman after suffering grief of his own. Also, walking and nature - spot on Pattidot. You could always try a natural remedy such as St John’s Wort.
Most of all though @Butterfly1 take comfort in your 2 beautiful babies; they could be all the therapy you need. xx

4 Likes

Had very bad experience both on sertraline and coming off, doctor told me to just stop, no weaning off, horrendous withdrawal. So, if you find it difficult stopping, please seek advice on tapering off. All the best to you @Butterfly1 but hope your babies will help you to heal and feel joy again xx

4 Likes

@Butterfly1, so sorry you’re going through this loss , and with two little babies to take care of.

Like others of you have said, our grief mustn’t be confused with depression. I now take a tranquilizer (aprazolam) before going to bed, otherwise I wouldn’t get a wink of sleep, but this was actually prescribed by my cardiolgyst as I suffer from hypertension and my anxiety and not sleeping are just making it worse.
I haven’t even spoken to my GP about the hell I’m going through since I lost my husband, I’m sure she would have prescribed an antidepressant. Going for walks in the fresh air does help a lot to clear your mind and help p you relax, and also talking freely with close family and friends about how you’re feeling, tu the worst thing to do is bottle up everything, a mistake I made, and still do.
Take care and your babies will give you strength and courage to get through this.

Post edited by online community manager to remove medical advice

2 Likes

I started taking sertraline in march and luckily I have been fine on them and they have certainly helped with my anxiety although I do worry about coming off them. They do take about 3 weeks to get built up in your system and start working. My daughter also had to go back on them for her anxiety. When she came off them last time she had terrible side effects but she thinks she came off them too quickly even though she followed the doctors instructions.
I think sometimes we need some help to get through but do agree that doctors seem to give them too easily and they are not for everyone.
I can understand it must be difficult to cope if you are suffering side effects. Maybe speak to your doctor again.
Take care xx

2 Likes

Hello Pattidot - I can see that you are conncerned about taking medications and the unnaceptable side effects you are experiencing . I would write a list of all your concerns including advice you have been given.Take it with you to your Gp or any other relevant people that may be supporting you and ask for a thorough diacussion about medication. Use the Mind info line who can talk to you about medications. There are lots of voluntary organisations who can help you with pra tical tasks and give you a break from babies. THese are not connected witth statutory services. If you can get the right support medication may not be necessaery at all. Walking, meditation.breathing etc are all valueable self care but I would also get as much support that is out there to keep you feel supported a nd walki ng through this period of grief. Sending you strength and courage xxxxx

1 Like

Hello Jenna
Thanks for the advice but I think you have directed your email to the wrong person as I would NEVER consider using anti depressants and steer clear of other medications.
I prefer to use natural substances along with lifestyle and have found these have got me through many years without having to near a GP.
I cannot see why anyone would want to go down the road of using drugs when grieving but that is another issue and it could become controversial.
I think it might be Butterfly you need to address your very helpful post to with some very useful advice.

Post edited by Online Community Manager to remove medical advice

1 Like

Butterfly - the post i sent to Pattidot was meant for you.-Sorry’ ’ hope you ok todayxxxxxx

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share some information about antidepressants on this thread in case it’s helpful. Before stopping or starting any medication, it’s really important to talk to your GP.

What’s right for one person won’t always be right for another. You should always seek medical advice from your GP, healthcare team or NHS Choices before acting on anything medical that you might read anywhere online. It’s fine to share personal experiences, but giving medical advice is against our community guidelines and terms and conditions, so I have removed a number of posts in this thread which are doing so. If you are unsure about anything, please do get in touch with me via PM and I will do my best to help.

Take care,
Seaneen

3 Likes

Thanks Jenna easily done.
By the way I use all your recommendations myself. I am a keen walker (every day) and find it very therapeutic, I do yoga/pilates/aerobics/breathing and dance. Along with suitable vitamins and have never felt the need to use medication even at my darkest hour. All worth a try.

2 Likes

Hello there- no they were not my recommendations, I was referring to advice given about these pursuits , I was just seawn to Butterfly situation as I had experienced similar.
Best wishesx

In connection to antidepressants it’s best to have those discussions with a GP or health professionals as they know all the pros & cons & for some these meds are indeed helpful to get through troubled emotional times. There’s a book out there by Dr Alex George called Live Well Every Day it is on Amazon & possibly in local libraries, Full of sound advice. Especially with grief & emotional roller coaster of day today coping strategies. This Dr also has many followers on social media platforms. Check him out!
I lost my husband (61) to Cancer at end of 2019 so all consuming grief is something I have had to live with & it doesn’t ever go away. I still miss my darling man every hour of every day. I know he’d not want me being miserable & sad all of the time, so keep on ‘keeping on’ for the both of us.
Big love to all those of you who are still coming to terms with losing loved ones. :wilted_flower:

5 Likes

I’ve been taking anti depressants for years and wouldn’t have coped without them during this awful time. Am taking citalopram.

4 Likes

Anti depressants may not be the answer but they can help in the short term

2 Likes