Antidepressants

Hi. I lost my dad over a year ago now and feel like I can’t move on with my grief. I feel as though people have forgotten my loss and that I should be OK. I know it’s been some time but feel so low on days. I have returned to work and try and live as I did before the best I can. I’m considering taking antidepressants to help but not sure if I’m doing the right thing. Take care all x

Hi Joey,

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your dad. There is no timeline for grief and it’s perfectly okay to be feeling this way after a year - after all, in the grand scheme of things, a year isn’t really that long.

There is another thread in this Community discussing anti-depressants, specifically Citalopram, and you may find it helpful to have a read of those posts. Many people have shared their personal experiences of anti-depressants, which may help you think a little bit more about them. You can find that thread here

Have you had a chat with your GP about how you’ve been feeling?

Take care of yourself,
Eleanor
Online Community Manager

Hello Joey, I am so sorry that you are grieving over your dad. I found that when my dad died when I was 25 years of age, that was 50 years ago, the one person that got me through it was my beloved husband. We had only been married a few months and my dad had given me away, then a few weeks down the line he was rushed into hospital and misdiagnosed. They said he had the 'flu but he had a brain haemorrhage, it was all over in a few days.

My husband died 3.1/2 years ago after 47 years of marriage, and I never took anti-depressants. I found that talking and be supported by my family was the way for me to go. But after all this time I still cry for my husband, still grieve for him so I do not know whether or not I did the right thing by not seeing my GP as our family have now moved on with their lives, but I can’t as there is no future without my husband, I cannot talk to them about it as I still break down in tears so I don’t mention how much I still miss him.
Every day is a drag, I have no interest in anything because everything I do, I have to do on my own. My sister died 25 years ago and now I have no family of the past left to talk to.

I have found that by coming on this site and knowing there are a lot of people going through the very same thing as I am and it helps enormously.

Speak to your doctor and see what he has to say, he won’t hand out anti-depressants willy nilly, so be prepared to open up to him and see what he can suggest.

Please take care,

Sheila x

they say that talk therapy and exercise are more or as effective as pills, and no side effects. when I had talk therapy, I always felt much lighter on my feet after the session. it helped me a lot. just being out, volunteering, talking to anyone about anything helps a lot.