Anxiety

I lost my Mum 3 weeks ago and it was a blessing for her and I now believe she is with friends and family on the other side so that’s a comfort but I wake up every morning with this awful feeling of anxiety and I’m not sure what to do about it and if it’s normal. I’m usually so calm and meditate daily but I’m struggling to cope with this. Thank you for any advice you can give.

Hi scorpiomoon,

Welcome to this community. I am so sorry to hear that you lost your mum 3 weeks ago. Your loss is still so recent and it’s completely normal to be feeling anxious at this stage.

I’m sure you’ll get some supportive replies from others in a similar position, but in the meantime there’s a couple of articles I know that you may find helpful to read:

1. There’s a website called What’s Your Grief and they have a detailed article about anxiety following a bereavement, which may be useful for you: https://whatsyourgrief.com/anxiety-in-grief/

2. We also have an article about coping with bereavement and the different emotions that you may experience: https://support.sueryder.org/practical-emotional-advice/how-can-i-cope-bereavement

If these feelings become overwhelming it’s always a good idea to talk to your GP about what you can do to manage the anxiety.

Take good care of yourself and don’t hesitate to let me know if there’s anything I can do to support you.

Best wishes,
Eleanor

Thank you Eleanor I’ll read the articles. I’ve also got some 5HTP only taken one so far but feel calmer this morning xxx

You’re very welcome and I’m glad to hear you’re feeling calmer this morning.

Take care,
Eleanor

Hi scorpiomoon,
Sorry to hear about your Mum. I do agree with you that our loved ones are safe and happy in the life beyond but it’s hard at first for those of us left behind and missing them. After my daughter died I suffered from anxiety attacks for the first time ever and also took 5HTP for a while which I found very helpful in calming me down. I used to take one first thing, as mornings were my worst time, but after a month or so found I only needed half a dose daily for a few weeks to keep me stable. We live abroad and don’t have access to a doctor (unless we pay!) but I’ve found natural remedies very helpful. Hope it continues to work for you. It seems these anxious feelings are all part of the grieving process. Take things at your own pace and be kind to yourself. Kathy x