Any retired HGV drivers on here

If there’s any retired HGV drivers on here you may remember my darling husband Jim aka Animal on front of his lorry I know he had a wide community on CB radio which he offend told me about

Hi, I do hope someone comes forward and you can ex-change messages. Take care S xx

Dear @Misprint
My husband was an hgv driver too. Breaks my heart now when I see the company name on those curtains walls.
I still look in the cab to see if its him & cry driving past his work.
He used to nip home on his lunch break to see me when I was working from home.
I so miss his “wait till you hear about todays sh*t show…” stories. Funny, dramatic & he always went the extra mile for his bosses. They knew it, he was so well thought of & is so missed by them. Almost a year has now gone by, his work sent me the largest beautiful bouquet of flowers at Christmas. So kind of them.
I hope someone reaches out to you with some memories.

2 Likes

Dear Maigret

It is wonderful that your husband’s work colleagues sent the bouquet. My husband had worked for the same company for 21 years, being paid off in 2016, but he stayed in touch. The funeral was limited due to covid but our local council live-streamed ceremonies to those unable to attend. Whilst many of those he had worked with closely took advantage of this service, I never received any communications from his former bosses which saddened me greatly.

@Misprint as Maigret has already said, I hope some people reach out to you.

1 Like

Dear @Sheila26
We were limited in numbers too because of covid, but all the people who loved him were there, well spaced out to listen to the woodland burial service.
My husband left from outside our home from our street which was lined with over 100 friends family neighbours & workmates. I don’t know how I got through that day, that final final day. Cannot believe its now been a year last week since he left me, & a year this Thursday since the funeral. Does…not…seem… real…
Spent a good day with my cousin & his lovely partner, without tears but plenty mentions of our big guy. Even though, still came home to a quiet lonely house that was once a warm home.
Something I’ve learned in the past year - if you do venture out, leave a light or two on for your return. Very slightly less heartbreaking than the pitch-black cruel silence.

Dear Maigret

I could not bring myself to have my husband leave from home so we just met at the church. Some of his friends were outside and one or two neighbours and our son’s friends were outside the crematorium but our local council was coming down hard around the government guidelines so it limited many however they could joint the service through a live-stream but it meant me and family had to circulate the link and also send out the government guidelines through email. This all added to the distress.

Time in some regards goes slowly but also quite quickly and for me personally this highlights that time is not a healer as so many want to tell us.

I am glad you were able to spend some time with your cousin and his partner and talk about your husband. It is always good when people are prepared to talk and mention our husbands.

I understand what you mean about returning to the house. I tend to leave the TV on so that there is some noise when I come through the door. I did speak with one of my husband’s friends today and he mentioned how he sometimes finds himself still thinking that my husband’s death was a cruel joke and some point my husband will give him a call - I still sometimes pull up on our drive and look up at the kitchen window momentarily expecting to see my husband standing there smiling and indicating to me that he has put the kettle on. I still have to live in the present, everyday remains a struggle.

This week our son’s partner went back to work so I have been looking after the two grandsons in order to keep the commitment my husband made. I cried at the end of the first night because we were a perfect team when looking after the babies, we used to laugh and congratulate ourselves on being able to cope with such little one’s and talk about where and what we would do with them. Now its just me and I find it heartbreaking and bittersweet.

Remain thinking of you. x

1 Like