Being alone

I lost my husband very suddenly and unexpectedly at the end of August. I am disabled and housebound and have now gone from him being there and doing most things for me, to just having a carer visit once a day. I waited a long time to meet ‘the one’ We married on my 50th birthday (my first) and 13 years later - he’s gone. He was a huge personality and had a huge presence wherever he went; so the hole he’s left has been enormous. I have my two beautiful dogs - I have found a wonderful girl to walk them - but I spend most of the day alone. I don’t have children myself and my family and friends are kind but they themselves are either working full time or/and have elderly parents/children/grandchildren to look after, so are always very busy. I get an occasional visit. I do fundraising for animal rescues online (I will be returning to that in January) but I just miss him so much and the lack of having someone around constantly.

6 Likes

I know what you are going through my partner passed away recently and like you I am disabled my partner was also my carer and did everything for me I also have problems making friends because of childhood trauma and I don’t have any family apart from one sister who lives a long way from me and loneliness is the worst thing I’ve ever experienced I had two unhappy marriages and meeting my partner was the best thing that ever happened to me I am struggling to look after myself because social services are having issues with finding me a carer the only company I have is my cat but I am just taking it one day at a time I hope things will work out for you take care

5 Likes

My love to both of you. Your stories are similar to mine. Married 6 years ago. No children. Steve resuscitared me when I had a bleed on the brain. Was my unofficial carer. Life is rubbush wirhout him. Sending love. :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

14 months since I lost my beloved. I’ve never felt so lonely. Coming up to my 2nd Xmas alone. It’s not nice at all. My parents used to say ‘‘you’ll be alright, you’re mentally tough. I’m not so sure now, but I’ve gotta try.’’ We aren’t the first to be in this situation but if others have done it in the past, so can we. Hang on there there.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for reading and replying with your story. I am so sorry that you are going through this too. I relied so much on Keith for everything. I can’t get out for various reasons and sitting here without him is so hard. I hope your carer situation gets resolved soon. Sending hugs

2 Likes

Thank you for replying and I’m so sorry to read your story too. I hope things get better for you soon.

2 Likes

Thank you for replying and sorry for your loss too. Yes, time should help all of us in this situation. Wishing you all the best.

2 Likes

I lost my wife to cancer at the end of June we were together 26 years it’s been the hardest year of my life. It’s my first Christmas without her it hurts so much

2 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss I know what you are going through after 30 years this is going to be my first Xmas alone not sure what I’m going to be like on the day but people like us will find it hard but I’ve been told to just take it one day at a time

2 Likes

My family and friends keep telling me to take each day at a time but it’s not getting better

2 Likes

I know what you mean because of how I was dealing with my loss I ended up under the mental health team it’s not something I’m proud of but I did think about ending my life I think that was a wake up call I was told there will be good days and bad days and they are right at the moment I’m having more bad days than good but I’m taking the advice I was given

I drink to much now it’s not helping with the grieving process

That’s the worst thing to do it just makes missing your partner even more

It does I have to stop

1 Like

@Boo2 I think most of us have thought about it, more than once. I know I have.

But it wouldn’t be fair on the people who love me, so I’ve been told. And as someone, I think on here said, if you did then cancer took two lives…

One day at a time

1 Like

Paddy 53 the thing that stopped me was knowing that my partner would not want me to do anything like that so I’m just going to take it one day at a time and hopefully get to a better place

1 Like