Being an only child

My name is Johnathan, I lost my brother when I was 20 and now I’ve just surpassed my brother’s age when he died at 25. I’ve been trying to cope with not only the loss of losing my best friend but trying to come to grips with being an only child and not having that connection and support anymore.

I’m just curious about those in a similar situation and how they cope with that loss, and whether they found a way to get it back.

2 Likes

Hello YoNahTahn,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about your brother. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

1 Like

Hi sorry to hear of your loss. Loosing siblings is devastating on so many levels.

I’ve lost my two older brothers and I am desperately struggling to live with the reality of not having my siblings. I feel like I have lost my shared life history with my brothers, which was a fundamental part of my identity. I was the youngest now I’m the only.

It’s hard to reimagine my new only child life going forward.