Bereavement is impacting my everyday life and relationships

Just last week was the 6 year anniversary of my mum passing away. I lost her quite suddenly to brain cancer and I was faced with some difficult decisions to make on her behalf. When my mum left, our entire family dynamics changed and my responsibilities changed too. 6 years on and I just recently had a complete melt down, my husband and I have now separated and I have fallen into deep anxiety and depression. I am scared of being left alone, losing people closest to me (including my dog) and I am not functioning very well with every day life. I am currently receiving therapy for my anxiety and depression but they cannot help the trauma from the bereavement. I hope there is someone out there that can help or can offer any advice, no matter how small x

Hi Supaddle

I’m sorry you are having such an awful time. You said you are having therapy for anxiety and depression but that they couldn’t help with trauma. I assume it is a talking therapy. I don’t know much about this but had to explore it in October when my husband died unexpectedly and other life changing things hit me at the same time. I was severely traumatised. I suffered anxiety, stress and panic attacks. I knew I needed help but didn’t know what. I found a hypnotherapist who was brilliant. She dealt with the trauma and the flashbacks I was having. She took away the pain I was feeling, stopped the panic attacks and gave me lots of tools to use ranging from breathing exercises, tapping and meditation. I only had five sessions with her but that was all I needed because I can now use the techniques she has taught me.

I don’t know if this is something you may want to try. It is perfectly safe and it really does work.

Yvonne

Hi SuPaddle

Just wanted to give you a virtual hug.

You have been through so much and the good news is that you are looking for help. That is the first step.

I had panic attacks in the past and I found counselling and yoga helped a lot. Scorpios experience of hypnotherapy sounds very interesting too.

I find regularly rambling on here is helping me too so I hope it helps you.

Take care. You are not alone.

Ann x

Hi Yvonne, thank you for replying :slight_smile: is there a particular type of hypnotherapist to look out for - was there a name to the treatment that you tried? Do you still suffer now? x

Hi Ann, I have too found reading other people’s stories helpful - it makes me feel like I am not on my own in my feelings. It has been such a long time now and I am worried that this is what life is going to be like. I have just started yoga, so I will see how that helps me with things. I am finding it difficult to be around people that have not been through the loss that I have - people either do not know how to talk about it or even just do not want too. Thank you for the virtual hug and kindness :slight_smile: