Bereavement support in Scotland

This project has now been completed. Find out more about the research findings and next steps here: https://www.sueryder.org/news/people-struggling-with-bereavement-unable-to-get-support-in-scotland]

Our policy team in Scotland, in collaboration with Hospice UK, are working on a project to improve bereavement support in the area. They’ve completed a piece of research exploring how many people in Scotland are offered support following the loss of a loved one. This research will then be used to make a case for more and better support in Scotland.

To go alongside the research the team are looking for people living in Scotland to share their experience of bereavement support. Perhaps you were offered different types of support, or maybe you were offered nothing at all. We’d love to hear from you to help us make our case for better support in Scotland.

Hi I live in Edinburgh and made my first contact on this site at the end of last year. My Dad died December 2017 and I have found this site very useful. I feel however it would have been good to reach out to someone locally. I explored counselling via my GP but had no luck so ended up paying for it privately so it would have been good had these services been easier to access.I was offered short term support from Dad’s McMillan Nurse but as you know everyone grieves differently and I would have gained more benefit if I had been offered follow up support a few months after Dad’s death. Also I felt that Mum did not get a lot of support as often the older generation do not seek support but it would have been nice had there been a follow up with Mum and I a few months after Dad died. In general the support for Dad was great as it should be but after he died we are just left to get on with things and no follow up help or support is offered. Hope this helps

Hi Dolphin1,
Thank you so much for this, it’s very helpful. Would you be happy for me to put you in touch with Elinor, our Policy and Public Affairs Manager in Scotland? She’s leading on this project and would really like to speak with you via email, if possible?

If you’re happy to speak to Elinor I can give you her email address or, if you’d prefer, give her yours so she can get in touch.

Thank you,
Eleanor

Hi I can give you my e mail address but not sure how to do this via private message

Lynne

Hello Eleanor, I live in Inverness. My husband died 8 weeks ago and I contacted the Hospice where he died for counselling. I have seen a counsellor there twice so far and found it helpful to tell him about my husband, of 50 years marriage, and about my difficulties in dealing with his loss. I don’t know for how long counselling continues or if it is limited.

Hi Lynne,

I’ll send you a private message now.

Thank you
Eleanor

Hello menessie,

Thank you for getting in touch. I’m so very sorry to hear that your husband died 8 weeks ago, but I am glad that you’ve been able to access counselling via the Hospice and that it is helping you somewhat.

Would you be interested in talking to my colleague, Elinor, about your experience a bit further? She would be happy to contact you via email or, if you prefer, I can pass on her email so you can get in touch.

With best wishes,
Eleanor

Yes, I can talk to Elinor if you send me her email
Regards
menessie

I live in the Scottish Isles, I have given up waiting for some kind of counselling as it’s a 3 month wait. I lost my partner of 34 years in a road traffic incident in June 2017. Then my Uncle who was living with us, I was his full time carer almost a year to the day I lost my partner. Things are not getting any better.

Hello Falconer,

I am so very sorry to hear that you lost your partner in 2017 and your uncle a year later. This must be such a difficult time for you and I’m sorry that you’re not getting the support you need.

Would you be interested in talking to our Policy and Public Affairs Manager in Scotland, Elinor, a bit more about your experience? It is so helpful to have real life experiences to support research and we hope that in doing this research we can improve bereavement support across Scotland.

With best wishes,
Eleanor

If it’s of any use, I could do , yes

Hi Falconer,

Thank you. Elinor has actually finished this piece of research now and it was published a few weeks ago. If it’s of interest to you we have more information about the findings and next steps here: https://www.sueryder.org/news/people-struggling-with-bereavement-unable-to-get-support-in-scotland

With best wishes,
Eleanor