Berevement and work

Hi guys
I lost my husband on the 30th November 2021 and I’m still currently off work, I have had conversations with my boss about returning and even set a date, when it came to it I just couldn’t go. My friends and family say go back when your ready, how will I know I’m ready? I don’t feel like I will ever be ready, the grief is overwhelming at times, will it ever get better?
Em x

1 Like

Hi Emma I lost my mum in December and have been off work since November as I couldn’t cope anymore with all the bad news we were getting. I’m looking at going back to work in the next week or so. But to be honest I know deep down I’m not really ready but it’s one of those where if I don’t go back now I never will. Think my biggest fear is getting upset when everyone starts with the I’m sorrys etc. It’s not easy

1 Like

Hi Emma,

Going back to work is tough and everyone is different and also depends on what you do for work.
I lost my mum in December there and was off until after Xmas. Although I felt bad for leaving my team in the lurch at our busiest time I was lucky my manager and team were amazing and didn’t pressure me at all. I decided I had to go back as it was not doing me any good being on my own any longer but it was my decision to return as it should be yours.

I’ve had a couple of really bad days since but my team have all supported me which I’m ever so grateful for.

My boss offered me a phased return over a few weeks but I didn’t want to do that but is that something you could do? Would that be something you would like to do?

Getting some routine has helped me and seeing other people have been of benefit but again everyone is different.

Please do what you feel is best for you and take each day as it comes be it good or bad.

Wish you all the best,

Suzanne x

Hi Emma. This is something I struggled with greatly. I found it was easier to give a timeframe of when you’d feel like going back to work. Giving a set date simply is something no grieving person can commit to when they’re in a poor state of mind. Give yourself a few weeks, give your boss a few weeks and explain that it may be difficult for you to get back into the swing of things. You can do this. We’re all rooting for you.

1 Like

Emma when okay go back when your okay lv annie x x