Birthdays

My wife died in April after a comparative short illness. Its been a hard time since for both me and my young daughter. My wife’s birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks time and I not sure how we acknowledge that. Part of me feels that I should treat it as another day, but I also want to acknowledge she was born and part of our lives. I just don’t know how to do that. Any advice would be welcomed.
thanks

1 Like

Hi Mike. First of all I am so sorry you lost your wife so quickly and at such a young age. My heart goes out to you both. I lost my husband 10mths ago not long after his 64th birthday so I still have another 7wks until his birthday. My counsellor told me about t is just another day and you don’t miss him anymore that date than you do any other date which is true. Maybe just light a candle or if your daughter is young you could maybe sing happy birthday so mummy can hear her in heaven (if it’s something you believe). I know with our wedding anniversary it was the build up to the day which was worse than the day it’s self. Sending hugs to you both.
Shona

Thanks for responding. Yes a candle and a toast are a good idea.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is just another day, but it has the weight of 31 years behind it, so full of some sort of significance. She died during the first wave of the Covid crisis so many people didn’t get chance to attend her funeral. We had planned to have a big get together for her birthday but covid has put paid to that. A candle and some words and a raised glass for now.
Mike

1 Like

That will be perfect x

Hi I’m so sorry for the loss of your wife
Cant imagine what your going through
Think nice to light a candle Maybe a toast
Everyone is different
On my twins anniversary I light a candle & release some baloons with a msg
Christmas will light a candle for mum in law & my dad this year also
Maybe you & your daughter can release halium baloon in the sky/stars or lig hi candle
Hope everything goes ok
Thinking of you

1 Like