Birthdays

I lost my Dad nearly three weeks ago. His birthday is coming up in the next week and I just don’t know how I will get through the day without him here to celebrate.

I feel like I should still buy him a card, is that weird? I just feel if I don’t it’s like he doesn’t matter anymore now he’s gone.

I miss him so much, I feel completely overwhelmed and wondered if anyone has any advice they can share around coping with birthdays etc?

1 Like

Hi,

I lost my mum over a month before Mother’s Day. I got her a card. And some flowers. I had her bench from her garden as we used to sit on it a lot together and chat. I put a picture of her her on there with her card and the flowers on it for the day. I brought her some more daffodils the other day which I’ve put in a vase next to her picture. It’s not silly. My gramps passed away 9 years ago. I take a bottle of his favourite beer to his grave and pour it on there for him. He’s buried with my grandma. They both smoked. I leave a cigarette for each of them on the headstone also. It’s about doing what feels right for you to do.

Nic x

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. I think I will get him a card and then just put it with his things.

I know this happens to a lot of people but my god it hurts so much.

Yes it does hurt. Thinking of you.
Nic x

Go for it buy a card, even a present like a plant you can put in the garden. Or sponsor a tree in your dad’s name to the national forest and you get a certificate.
I’ve done all this for my husband who died 13 months ago.
It’s our wedding anniversary this week, I have a card already for him and after the day I will but it in a memory box l have for him.
Both our children have memory boxes for their dad too.
It not weird still celebrating special family occasions like birthdays, they are still part of our family’s.
Love goes to you and your family.
Debbie X X :purple_heart:

Thank you :blush:

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for your reply. He loved the outdoors so getting a tree in his name is a lovely idea. I will look into that now.

1 Like