Books about grief & bereavement

That sounds rather interesting, I noticed an interview and presentation by the Author on YouTube that may interest people.

Hi Greyone,thank you yes i will have a look on YouTube

I have just finished Levels of Life by Julian Barnes. It’s not a self help book by any stretch of the imagination. However I could relate to it in so many ways as it deals with the grief he experienced after the death of his wife and it is acutely observed and recorded. It’s one of those books which don’t seem to make much sense at first but eventually it all fits together. I would be interested to know whether any bereaved women have read it and to what extent it is relevant to their experience.

I’m reading Grief day by day simple practices and daily guidance for living with loss it by Jan Warner

1 Like

If you have lost a child or even for other losses’ Life after the death of my son’ by Dennis L. Apple, there is some religion in this book but its mainly focused on the grieving process.

I’m currently reading a book given to me by a very dear friend. It’s called A Valley Journal by Abi May. It’s a book which you can just keep dipping into, again and again.

1 Like

I like the idea of a book you can dip into. Hope it feels like you don’t have to finish it.

I have just bought Healing A Spouses Grieving Heart by Alan D Wolfelt PH.D I am finding it very helpful. My husband died this year and I find myself lost and struggling with the enormity of his death on my existence. What I have read so far is simple and easy to read. I has made me feel that my feelings are understandable and quite usual. Following on from buying this book I went on to U Tube, to see who the author was and through that investigation came across other sites which are supportive. I am not a person who is looking for counselling (yet) but at the moment I am searching for ways to understand and cope in my own way.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this Mary, I shall look your book up. Like you I’m trying to find my own way and reading is helping me along my journey as is this forum. Thanks everyone. Xx

I also read and strongly suggest “It is Okay if You Are Not Okay,” and a book I just started reading “If The Spirit Moves You,” By Justine Picardie. A kind poster on this site recommended that one to me because it deals with the loss of a sibling to cancer, and I am here because I lost my younger sister to that dreaded disease. My concentration is nil in my state of grief, however I am finding these books to be easy reads.

Hello everyone, I’ve just come across a recently published book that may be useful for those who have experienced feelings of anxiety. It’s called ‘Anxiety: The Missing Stage of Grief’ by Claire Bidwell Smith.

1 Like

This isn’t a recommendation, as I haven’t read them, but I thought the readers amongst you might like to be aware of a couple of books by Jan Robinson: “Tips for Widows” and (guess what) “Tips for Widowers.”

I came across the reviews more or less by chance.

Throughout my life I have always had at least one book “on the go” and usually with more in a “to read” pile, but now, well, I just don’t care to read much.
There’s a pile of seven books on my bedside table as I write - all my wife’s.
And yes, I’m still abed ! Thank goodness for a pair of hungry dogs who are wondering where their breakfast is !

1 Like

A list of ‘eight books to read when you’re grieving’ has been doing the rounds on social media this week, so thought I’d share it here for you all too: https://amp.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/eight-books-to-read-when-youre-grieving-and-for-bereaved-children-37461858.html?__twitter_impression=true

1 Like

Hello Again Everyone-One more book I can suggest: “I Wasn’t Ready To Say Goodbye.”
Authors-Noel Brook, Pamela Blair, PHD.
Deals with “sudden Loss.” Something I and so many of us here have experienced. Good read. Thank you too for your many suggestions. I’ve followed up on some, hoping I will find some solace in the words. Will try anything to ease this agony. Sister2

1 Like

Thank you I will read it ,I have been experiencing bad anxiety lately.x

Here’s a different book, it’s a book of poems. ‘Good Mourning’ by Vivian Greene. It has some beautiful poems in it, written after the loss of her husband. The book is not so much about grieving but about loving.

“My love is undying therefore so are you.”

“But I miss his affection and his touch
And no-one else has meant so much.”

“We move in concert in a shared journey interdependently never alone,
At one with another and the oneness is eternal.”

I know poetry isn’t for everyone but I wanted to share some little snippets with you.

Much love x

2 Likes

I have just started reading The Choice by Edith Eger ,it is an amazing book about strength,how using the mind to be a survivor in life and not a victim,it is a true story,and the lady who wrote it is a true survivor,it is not a self help grief book as such ,although this lady lost many loved ones in her life,its about surviving after life throws you the hardest challenges.

1 Like

Thanks Robina. I’ve just downloaded it on my Kindle…x

1 Like

I read an interesting review of this book in Psychology Today and bought it on Kindle on the strength of that. It slipped to the bottom of the pile but I think this is a timely reminder. I saw Edith Eger on TV fairly recently and she came across very well.

1 Like

Hi YorkshireLad1950,hope you find it a good read,i am interested in mind and thought perception,how changing our thoughts, is one way we do regain some control in this unpredictable life