Books about grief & bereavement

Although I retired quite a long time ago I worked in Organisational Development and Change Management and various other aspects of Applied Psychology in relation to learning and change. I’ve retained a strong interest over the years and try to keep up to date.
I think it’s interesting that you are receptive to the notion that you can reframe your thoughts and, maybe, your situation with regard to having a positive outcome. Change is a constant in our lives but rapid and traumatic change can have devastating effects. You are so right when you talk about the need to regain some control over aspects of your life. I hope you are able to stay motivated and that you are able to move forward to a more comfortable existence, or should that be a more comfortable life. It is something we have to do for ourselves… change starts with us. Good luck.

2 Likes

Thank you Yorkshire Lad for your positive reply,i understand everyone deals with lifes trials there own personal way,motivation is always hard to sustain ,when in deep sorrow,the only control i have left i decided is how i react each day to my own emotions,and thoughts,reactions spiral and i do not personally want to spiral down,i choose to stay on a calmer route ,moving forward ever so slowly,as we cannot change the past,sounds like you had a very interesting job,and a very good insight to psychology,Good luck to you too.

The year of magical thinking is very good, Joan Didion also lost her daughter quite close to her husbands death and wrote Blue Nights. She writes so well about love and loss I read both books shortly before my daughters funeral, and there certainly resonated with me.

1 Like

I’ve just read A Manual for Heartache by Cathy Rentzenbrink and I thought it dealt very well with many issue regarding grief and living on. It’s on offer on Kindle at the moment.
I also bought Waking Up by Sam Harris which is about spirituality without the religion but I haven’t started it yet.
Kindle has a New Year promotion on self help books at the moment.

This is not a book but a website called Psychology Today.There is a post or blog called An Alphabet of Grief,written by Kristin Meekhof,it is an A-Z guide as a way to look at grief,this lady lost her husband,but im sure it would help the gentlemen on here too,and all those suffering grief on this site.Hope it helps a little x

Can anyone recommend a book to read to help cope with the loss of a sibling (adult)?

There are a few particularly related to the loss of a sibling on amazon xx

I’m currently reading 'On Grief and Grieving ’ by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross and David Kessler. Highly recommend it.

Can anyone recommend books that are specifically about the death of adult children? Most seem to be about still birth, miscarriage, small children, teenagers etc.

I’m currently reading On Grief and Greiving by Katherine Kubhler-Ross, it covers all bereavements, I’m finding it a great help, doesn’t take away any pain or the loss, but it does help you to understand that what you’re feeling and going through is all part of the bereavement process, it’s and I helped me by explaining a few myths too.

I’m not saying this is the book you should buy, but it is helping me to understand a few things, I think you can download a synopsis of the book on Amazon.

Hope this helps you, and sorry for your loss,

Blessings ☆

Thanks I will have a look x

1 Like

This may seem an unusual recommendation… Living the Life Unexpected: 12 Weeks to Your Plan B for a Meaningful and Fulfilling Future Without Children Book by Jody Day. The book is for childless not by choice which acknowledges women who have had miscarriages, failed IVF, a child died and the disenfranchised grief experienced as well as grieving/sense of loss that we are all going through. Jody addresses the stages of grief which helped me this aspect of grief and unexpectedly with the death of my mum. You can choose to work through the exercises or come back to them another time as you don’t need to 12 weeks to a plan b - some people use this as a guideline. The compassion expressed is comforting as well as the hope that filters through. Some people may find this book helpful.

I bought this last month, find it’s really helpful and very easy to read. Also bought Widow to Widow by Genevieve Davis Ginsberg M.S, read a little so far, still reading On Grief and Grieving at present finding my concentration wavering a great deal

Thanks, Eleanor. I have been suffering from this since my sweet wife passed on. I lie shaking in the morning worrying about the day to come without her.

I was recommended by one of my American friends on an American senior forum I have been a member of for the past 10 years, the members are all older than me…The book is a pocket size Devotional by Sarah Young…Devotions for Every Day of the Year…" Jesus Calling "… Enjoying Peace In His Presence…I am finding it so comforting when the days devotional is summing up exactly what has been going through my mind the day before…

Jackie… peace be with us all as we are going through this now half empty life we are finding ourselves suddenly thrown into to…

Hello everyone,

I thought those of you on this conversation might be interested to read the latest post from Sue Ryder blogger Richard Littledale. His book Postcards from the Land of Grief shares his bereavement experience after losing his wife Fiona - and he is donating 100% of the royalties to Sue Ryder. Read more: https://www.sueryder.org/blog/richard-littledale-postcards-from-the-land-of-grief-a-book-about-bereavement

I would highly recommend Healing after Loss - Daily meditations for working through Grief by Martha Whitmore Hickman. There is a meditation for every day of the year but you can drop in and out as you will. It really resonated with me that this person has a deep insight and understanding. Each meditation ends with a thought of hope and encouragement too.

Here’s the thread about books Susan. I hope you find it helpful. X

i bought this but havent started it yet

1 Like

Poetry sounds a good idea to read. I like the one that starts with
Do not stand and my grave
I did not die l do not sleep…
And perhaps playing some music you associate with that person at the same time