Boyfriend’s dad died today

My boyfriend’s dad died this morning after a short and terrible battle with cancer. My boyfriend and I have been together 17 years so although we’re not married, his dad was essentially my father-in-law.

I lost my mum in similar circumstances (to a terminal illness) about 8 months ago, and it’s set me off, almost reliving what I went through then.

I’m doing my best to support my boyfriend but feel guilty for being so upset, when I need to be strong for him.

1 Like

Hello @Elle_T,

I’m so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Having lost your mum, it’s completely understandable it would set you off. Please do be gentle with yourself - it’s natural that you would be upset, too.

It sounds like you’re doing your very best. If you’d find it helpful, our Grief Kind campaign has lots of resources that can help you in supporting your boyfriend through grief.

If you think it could be helpful to have some grief support for yourself, too, our Online Bereavement Support offers an Online Counselling service, our Grief Coach text support service, and our Grief Guide self-help site.

I hope that you find these resources helpful. Please take good care of yourself, too - the community is here for you.

Seaneen

2 Likes