Bureaucracy

I have received a letter from Barclays Bank. It is actually addressed to my husband and begins

Dear Mr John … deceased.
We could still help with your plans.
Looking for a new mortgage deal?

My husband died in November 2019 and I notified his bank within a week of his death. Even if this is a computer ge

1 Like

Generated letter who sanctions this nonsense?
It doesn’t help make sense of an already shattered world.

1 Like

Sorry that you received this insensitive letter. It seems like one system that doesn’t hold information about whether someone has died is pulling information from another system, and sending out letters. It shouldn’t be this way because the actual fix for the bug (or change request, which it might well be) will be so simple, but that requires checking in code, unit testing, component testing, system testing, delivery and user acceptance testing (which in this case will be Barclays themselves), and knowing the bureaucracy with which banks operate, this will include weeks of meetings of Project Managers to get such a simple code change delivered. Of course it is quite possible that this is a new bug that they are unaware of, but past experience of working in the industry suggests otherwise. Sadly, cost is so often more important.

2 Likes

Thank you Abdullah for your empathy and potential explanation for such crassness shown by Barclays. Regardless of the technical reasons I can’t understand how anyone can type a sentence addressed to someone who they realise is deceased. Unless they don’t know what deceased means?!

1 Like

Yes, it is absolutely awful, their operating income last year was over 4 bn, how can a firm making so much money not ensure that simple things which can cause so much distress to their customers do not occur, I shall be writing to them telling them this.

1 Like

Exactly Abdullah. I am on the case. Part of me is so weary with this corporate indifference but I will let them know my feelings. At our lowest ebb this insensitivity is not what any of us needs.

1 Like

Hi Jobar,
It is 13 months since my husband died, I had a cheque book delivered on Monday and it was in both our names, I wish these people would do their jobs correctly. Our bank - the Nat West has gone downhill and after 60 years with them, I am seriously considering a change. The bank was the first to be notified when Stan passed away, it has made other errors too, too numerous to mention. :angry: :angry: :angry:

2 Likes

I had one, which thanked me for registering a death of my mother. Then went on the offer my mother a loan.

Hi Mary,
It seems that inefficiency is common place. With all the resources at their disposal, banks really have no excuse. It’s just so hurtful I find that the effort it takes to get in touch with these institutions turns out to be a waste of time. There is no such thing as a valued customer. Things like this really don’t help but
I hope you are keeping as well as you can.x

1 Like

Hi Daffy 123,
It’s unbelievable. A question of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Heaven forbid they miss a marketing opportunity! Compassion and care don’t generate profit.

Thank you for your reply, Jobar, it is so frustrating trying to do the right thing and inform these institutions, only to be ignored.
I am not too bad, thank you, how are you? x

1 Like

Sad Mary, just so unbelievably sad. Like all of us on this site. Xx

1 Like

I was not satisfied with how our bank dealt with matters (Nat West) and made a complaint. I told them that when grieving you really don’t need this stupidity. I received a large food hamper as an apology.
Pat

Hi Pat,
I have just had yet another example of the NatWest inefficiency.
Did you ring the bank or write, please?
I hope that all is well with you.
Mary. x

Today EE threatened my wife with a debt collection agency even though they were advised of her death in March. These things do not make life any easier.

Hi Mary
I think I called them and made the complaint first but knowing me I probably put it in writing also. I like to have copies.
Take care. Nice to hear from you.
Pat xxx

1 Like

When I informed Vodafone that my husband had passed away I was asked if I wanted to take on the contract and I said I wanted to give it some thought. I was told I had a couple of days but if his monthly payment wasn’t paid it would go against his credit rating. I told them I didn’t think he would be that bothered about it.!!! I informed another company of his passing and received a rebate. The cheque was made out to my husband!!! Where do they find these people or are they robots really without a brain.

1 Like

Thank you, Pat.

Mary x x x

Hello @Jobar, @MaryL, @Daffy123, @Pattidot and @AFVFNC - I’m so sorry you’ve all had such difficult experiences with banks and other companies.

I have just mentioned this discussion to some of my colleagues, as Sue Ryder is currently supporting a campaign for a Bereavement Standard, which would guide how companies should deal with and support next of kin of customers who have died, with a view to making the system much simpler.

Would it be OK if we were to quote some of your experiences when we are supporting this campaign - for example, on social media? We wouldn’t include any personal details (not even your community usernames. Jobar - we’d also leave out your husband’s first name).

If you’d be OK with this, you can just let us know by replying to this conversation. Any of you that we don’t hear from, we won’t quote you.

1 Like

Of course, Priscilla,
If it stops anyone else from experiencing the heartache, it is fine by me,
Thank you,
MaryL