Cancer of adult son.

Just needed to share my thoughts to get some support. I lost my mother at the end of January this year at the age of 96 and had spent a lot of time with her helping her to cope emotionally. Ten weeks later I heard that my eldest son has bowel cancer which has spread to the liver and some lymph nodes in the back. He is only in his late thirties and was looking forward to starting a family with his partner of many years. I am just devastated. I lost his father twenty years ago which was a sudden death and all I could think of to say to him when he told me the news was that at least he was going to get a chance to survive but that unfortunately his father never stood a chance. His consultant seemed hopeful that they could still do a lot to get the cancer under control but I am just still so shocked and still grieving for my dear mother as well. Any support would be so welcome.

Hi,

I’m so sorry to hear that you lost your mother at the end of January and now you have such upsetting news about your eldest Son. I’m sure that you are feeling devastated about your Son whilst still grieving for your Mother. It must feel overwhelming for you at the moment.

I lost my Mum nearly 5 years ago so I know just how upsetting it is. She was my best friend and I still miss her. She would be the one I would talk to about anything & everything.

Do you have any close friends or family you can talk to? It’s so important to be able to share how you’re feeling. You are not alone. There are loads of lovely supportive people in the community who will understand what you’re going through.

Please keep posting & take care. Trudy x

Hi Radiohead,

I’m truly sorry to hear about your son’s diagnosis. You are having to deal with so much at the moment and finding the head space to cope with the diagnosis when you’re grieving your dear mother must be so very difficult. It’s really important to be kind to yourself and take things a day at a time. Easier said that done sometimes, I know, but it’s really important to give yourself what you need.

This community is here to support you through this, so keep in touch and know that this is a safe space to say anything you need to say.

Please also feel free to private message me if there’s anything I can do or if you have questions about the site.

Take care,
Eleanor
Online Community Manager

Sorry to hear your bad news , cancer it’s a frightening word but now a days they can do wonderful things to help . The loss of your mum is sad but I am sure she would not want you to grieve for her for ever she had a long and I am sure a lovely life and she would want you to have the same . Your hubby never got the chance of a long life but your son has a chance and with your help and support you can try to make sure he does . So be kind to your self and share that kindness with your son and his partner at this worring time concentrate it helping them .