Canine Central

Your brothers chocolate lab sounds lazier than lil which takes some doing, I use an extendable lead when walking her and she walks the full 5 metres behind me,
I used to take a ball to the park for a game of fetch, I’d throw the ball and she used to look at me as if to say “what” then stroll off in the other direction leaving the daft owner to fetch the ball. Xx

They do like to make us look like idiots don’t they!! My daughter got a muzzle in an attempt to stop her yellow lab (19 months old) devouring poop, we hate putting it on him as it makes his poor little nose sore and as predicted yesterday he just buried the muzzle right in the middle of an enormous pile trying to eat poop through it, he showed us up in the park, refusing to come when called and then my daughter had a nasty cleaning job when we got back. Second pronged attack on the situation put in place… she’s bought a bottle of Tabasco sauce, can’t wait to find out how that goes haha

He’ll probably think “cheers just what I needed to take the smell away while I tuck in” xx

Oh, what a lovely thread! My dog was my saviour when my mum passed away. It was just the three of us living together, and Mum and Twinkle were diagnosed with cancer within months of each other. By rights Twinkle was due to depart this world long before Mum, but Twinkle defied all veterinary odds! My Mum died in March 2017 and Twinkle carried on until April this year, some year and a bit passed her expected survival time. I am certain that Twinkle hung on in there for me. I don’t know what I would have done without her. Twinkle had a daily blog and was well known on social media. She’s even been given a memorial plaque in Battersea Dogs and Cats Home, where I adopted her from. I have found it difficult without her, but have continued my daily walk with her friends. I’m grateful to their owner too. I feel like I’m ready to re-home again, and I know it’ll be more difficult without Mum, but I’m certain that Mum and Twinkle will look down and approve. Our furry friends really are just the tonic. :slight_smile:

Edwin, I so agree about the companionship of dogs. My husband was never an animal person (I am) but nevertheless became fond of our cat, Leo, who is getting on a bit, and after my husband died in March this year I felt that I couldn’t bear it if I lost Leo too. Along came my daughter’s shih tsu cross puppy which I agreed to mind during weekdays. An absolute bundle of laughs and fun. Such an appealing face. So I added my own rescue dog from Cyprus, a golden brown terrier cross who turned out to be desperate for affection and security.

It truly gladdens my heart to see them running together and my dog loves a cuddle. The cat has accepted the canines with good grace, bless him and I have conversations with people and meet many other dogs. It doesn’t so much heal as give me structure and purpose (I’m retired) every day which does more than just fill the time.

The dark evenings are a pain because my dog doesn’t believe in doing wees or poos in my garden but it’s a small price. Though I may be thinking differently if we have snow again like last year!

Last night I came upon a poem amongst some bits and pieces that had belonged to my grandmother, born in 1900, about the love of a little dog. Very sentimental but sweet and, right now, fitting.

I can’t help imagining that my husband would shake his head and smile and be pleased that the dogs are here for me.

I hope

I have Ada, 9 month old pug, she’s a canine vacuum cleaner, she’ll come darting into the house from the garden and straight into the lounge, I know she’ll have brought something in, mostly it’s the flowers from what used to be my beautiful flower border. Nowadays it’s become Ada’s Deli. She’s on a diet under vet’s instructions, last week whilst she was staying at my daughter’s with her cousin, Winston, (2…9 months old) (they have the same great grand father), Anyway the delightful Ada ran into my daughter’s kitchen chomping on… a worm… suppose it’s am improvement on the slug I managed to entice off her the previous week. Disgusting habits for an adorable furbaby. ☆ at least between the two of them, they maintain my ‘insanity’ ☆ they are lovely company too of course x

So pleased were talking about having pets. I have dogs and they are my saviours. Beepa, she came out of a dog pound and Biugsie a little terrier who I fostered and ended up keeping him. They are the most wonderful company, I would be lost without them, especially at this time. When I first lost Brian they was the reason I had to get up in the mornings. I enjoy my long walks with them. Everything about them is a delight. For those without a dog give it a thought, there’s so many lovely dogs in Rescue Centres crying out to give someone their love and companionship.

1 Like

My new profile photo shows Eileen with her poodle, Simon, in 1966.

It’s a photo I had with me in the Radfan mountains, hoping for mail to reach us and counting the days until I could be with her.
I longed for her then, and I long for her now.

1 Like

When my husband died so suddenly I was left with his constant companion a 4 year old rescued lurcher. Little did I realise that she would give me a reason for getting up in the mornings and that without her I dread to think what would of happened to me.

1 Like

Alan and I had Winston every day our daughter was at work, she used to have 2 pugs, sadly we lost Henry at 13 months old 24th May 2017, they were both from the same litter, I kept asking Alan if we should get a playmate for Winston as he was clearly missing Henry, we all were too. Alan kept saying no, then in February last year he said we’ll see… That translates to ‘yes ok’ to me. I went on the watch listing with the kennel club and champdogs. A few cane up but they were at the time Alan was in hospital, and we were expecting him home. The day after his funeral the first viewing came up for a litter of 6 bitches, so I went to see them. They all had different coloured collars, Alan being a staunch Manchester United supporter, the first one I picked up wore a red collar, I was smitten and called her Ada. 5 weeks later I brought her home, her and Winston have become firm friends and both give me a reason to get up in the mornings and to actually go outside too to take them on their walks. X I’d be lost without either of them. X

So pleased you went ahead and added Ada to your family, that was very brave but I feel a positive step. Do you find that with a dog there is usually a chance to meet up with other doggie owners and have a chat. I never wanted a terrier and when Bugsie came to be fostered being owned by a rescue centre I never dreamt I would be keeping him. My husband adored him, he;s such a cheeky chappie. He insisted we keep him when a new home turned him down and he returned to us. It was meant to be and I am now so pleased I have him and of course my lovely Beepa, so sensitive and loving. She knew my husband was ill last year, she never left his side even when we was out walking and working on the allotment she was always by his side. I knew then that my Brian was becoming worse. In his last days she refused to go near him though and still hasn’t fully recovered from his loss. I would recommend to anyone grieving and lonely please consider a dog. A local rescue centre can help you with the right one and you will receive so much love that it will help you. You will have someone to love and care for.

1 Like

We had some lovely dogs over the years. The idea of getting a dog is something I’m considering and a number of people keep making insistent suggestions on the matter. They are all dog owners.
I used to love going off with the dogs, camping in the van and walking all day, and I’ll probably be doing a lot of that in future. I don’t need a dog to help me greave and like I say to people, it’s not really an adequate replacement for my wife.
I’ve still got an open mind but I need to know it will fit into my future existence without having to make too many compromises.

I belong to a pug group, and whilst I’ve not been able to join them on the pug walks every Sunday, I am hoping to be able to soon. It’s a good network of pug owners, we also hold events too. I have missed all these since Alan passed away, I think I’ve only managed to attend 3 or 4 last year.

I have 4 dogs. I lost my beautiful dog Eva (who was going to be the one to help me through my grief) just 3 weeks before my husband Mal, 12 months ago. I bought another puppy 8 months ago as I wanted 4 dogs again, and looking after the pup filled the massive void a tiny bit. I couldn’t live without them, they are my comfort. Mal loved the dogs so much, and they must miss him too.

Hello Yorkshire Lad. Nothing and no one will replace our loved ones, but the love of a dog is so wonderful that, for me, I get so much pleasure from them which does help. Walking the beautiful countryside with them as company gives me something to look forward to. I love walking but wonder if I would be able to do so much if I didn’t have the encouragement of my four legged friends. Would it be the same. Get another dog, I’m sure they will enjoy going camping and walking, absolutely ideal. We used to camp and our (then) dog loved it.

Sounds smashing. Wish I could find a walking group with dogs. Might think about starting one myself. I walk with the Ramblers but some members/walks are not very dog friendly. Go for it again.

1 Like

Four dogs, what bliss. Certainly more reliable than some humans. So much love to give. I agree couldn’t live without my two either, they have helped me so much. Sleep with me at night and I can cuddle into them. One of mine misses her dad very much still. My husband also loved our dogs but when I met him I had four dogs. Three of them were German Shepherds (my favourite) he was appalled and very cautious about visiting me. They was good guard dogs but well trained so he soon became more confident. When they died he hinted that perhaps I should have smaller dogs now!!! When my last dog died I said ‘no more’, like you do. Nevertheless after a break which I managed. I found Beepa on a Dog pound web site and after visiting her, she came home on trial and stayed and what a great dog she is.

My daughter’s pug, Winston misses Alan, (aka Grampy Grump) when he hears that name, you can see him looking up the stairs or to Alan’s chair, Winston certainly knows who we’re talking about. He had only just gotten used to being without his litter brother Henry who we’d lost May 2017, then as you know, Alan in May 2018. Which is the main reason I got Ada so he’d have company, even if she torments the life out him. When we first got her, she was 9 weeks old and couldn’t get on the sofa so Winston was safe from her torments, now the only safe haven he has is sitting on the dining table, well out of her reach. Love them both to bits, don’t know where I’d be without them now. X

-6 degrees C out there this morning, and snow forecast.
Time to get the dog coats out.

Take care Edwin.