Christmas anxiety

As mum passed in august im struggling to have xmas without her. Xmas was all centred around being with mum xmas eve until boxing day and she would cook etc and its been the same routine and lots of random presents from the poundshop from her. But not there is no point. So i dont want to do anything but feel gulity at that due to my dad. And dont want to deny him xmas time with me and my brother although he has suggested a hotel instead of house. He himself has 5yrs and cancer.

Agreed, it will be very hard this year. I guess we have to find some way to experience it in Mum’s honour as best as possible (for the kids really). I hope you can find a way to get through it for your Dad.

1 Like

My mum died 5 weeks ago and today we were at my sister’s discussing what to do for Christmas. I don’t want to do anything but will have to for the family. Even talking about it today I started sobbing at dinner as I thought of Christmas without Mum.

She loved it, Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, going round her sister’s on Christmas Morning for drinks and nibbles then dinner with all the family in the afternoon. it’s never going to be the same again without her and I’m heartbroken. It would’ve been her 80th birthday on the 3rd of January as well and we had a special party planned, now those plans lie in tatters :cry:

1 Like

Im so sorry about your mum. Its a really tough time my brother always travelled up and made it special for mum. His wife has lost both parents. Now he doesnt see point in seeing dad as it was all for mum. And im now trying with everyones wishes. It wont be xmas as mum was the centre and made it xmas and everyone gravitated towards that.

1 Like

i’m having anxiety about christmas too!
it’ll be my first ever one without mom, i dread it.
i usually just spent it with her.
sometimes we’d have other family over but it was usually just us two. i’ve been thinking about what to do.
it’s hard to know in advance how you’ll even feel on the day but think about how you’re feeling currently. don’t force yourself xx
it might also be lovely and comforting to celebrate as normal as you can just as you would if your mom was still here. i’ve been thinking to do the same

1 Like

Decided me and my dad seeing other relatives (never have on christmas before). So we will have a distraction. And will ho go day by day and he will stay at mine new years as doesnt want to be there on his own. I feel im supporting my dad at these times and putting my grief on hold. As i feel i need to support my dad. My brother is now well christmas doesnt exsist now shes not here. So im now going to spend it with my wife for once (her and my dad dont get on). So i feel abandoned to deal with my dad by myself as well as upset over the fact that mum is not here.

1 Like