Christmas

This is it Christmas is nearly here and I am trying to be happy and positive but it’s not really working. First Christmas without Mum. My Mum loved Christmas I didn’t want to put a tree up but I did and I did feel better doing that.
Dad’s first year without his wife and being in a rest home.
How will we get though this.
Katz

1 Like

Hi @Katz,

Thank you so much for sharing this with the community :blue_heart: I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I just wanted to let you know that you have been heard and you are not alone.

We know that Christmas can be a very difficult time of year when we are grieving. We have an article on Coping with grief at Christmas which might be helpful.

Take good care,
Alex

Hi Katz,
It’s also my first christmas without my mum. Tree has only gone up tonight and already feel like taking it down. It’s my 3rd without my dad, so I’m really feeling it this year.
I’m hoping that once the day is here I will be able to ride the festivities but currently everytime i get too into things im reminding that theyre not here and break down.

Hi it’s my first Christmas without my dad who passed away in August, I miss him so much and can’t look forward to anything, every day is a struggle x

1 Like

First Christmas without our mum after losing her suddenly in October. My little girl was just 8 weeks old when we lost my mum. It will be a bittersweet Christmas, first for our daughter and first without my mum. I’m not sure I’m confronting my grief at all, day to day I can push it to the side and both think about it and concentrate on my baby instead, but I’m not sure that’s healthy. I’m speaking to a mental health nurse about it and she keeps reassuring me I’m doing well. I’m not so sure

This is the first Christmas without my dad as he died suddenly of a stroke in October aged 71.I thought I was doing OK, back at work ,enjoying some things but I’m due to drive home to my mums tomorrow and I’m dreading it. I normally live Christmas and enjoy seeing my family but it won’t be the same without him. I don’t know whether to just carry on and put it to the back of my mind or be sad. I don’t think I would be able to cope if my mum and brother also got upset.

Hi @Ally3

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’m so sorry to hear about your dad; thank you for sharing how you’re feeling here.

It may be helpful to know that Sue Ryder offers a range of Online Bereavement Support, including an Online Counselling Service and our recently launched Grief Guide, which provides articles and interactive tools to help you cope with grief.

You can find out more about all of these services at Online Bereavement Support | Sue Ryder.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support, and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please do keep talking and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Kate

Hi @CampbLE

Thank you for sharing this with the community :blue_heart:

I can see that this is your first post, so I wanted to thank you and let you know that you have been heard.

I’m pleased to hear you are a speaking to a mental health nurse; it may also be helpful to know that Sue Ryder has a range of Online Bereavement resources which you may also find helpful:

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Please do keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Kate

Hi @Cathy17

Thank you for sharing how you’re feeling with the community - I just wanted to let you know that you have been heard and that you’re not alone :blue_heart:

We know that Christmas can be a really difficult time of year for so many people who are grieving. It’s important to try not to put too much pressure on yourself and those around you, particularly as how you’re feeling might change from day-to-day.

It may be helpful to have a read of our ‘coping with grief’ article

I hope that you find the community helpful and a good source of support.

Thank you again for sharing – please do keep reaching out.

Take care,

Kate