Coping with Christmas

Hi everyone
I lost my lovely mum to sepsis 5 weeks ago and am finding it hard to cope with Christmas approaching. Anyone got any advice for me to ease the pain I feel everyday. I just feel like I’ve got no mum anymore and feel lost xx

Hello Babs11,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling at the moment. I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your lovely mum. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,
Alex

Hi @Babs11. It’s an incredibly difficult time, I can only relate how I handle Xmas , this will be my second.
My niece gave me a good clue, she said that wherever I go, Penny won’t be there.
So I decided to spend it with the happy memories on our own, in a place we loved. I was going to walk on the Flamborough cliffs last year with our dogs last year, but I went down with Covid on Xmas eve, so I spent it happily at home, just myself, Penny, myself and our two dogs, Rosie and Crumpet. I’m doing the same this year, I have invitations to go and join in with friends and families, and they understand as long as I’m ok. And I am!
But Ive always done things MY way, I guess Im a bit of a rebel.
I dont automatically do what is “traditional”. Without Penny it can never be traditional, I just accept it.
Im not actually looking forward to Xmas, but Im certainly not dreading it.
I hope you find your own way of coping, wether it be traditional or not.
Good luck.

2 Likes

I know exactly how your feeling I too lost my mum about 5 weeks ago and part of me went the day she left I’m dreading Christmas as she won’t be sat at the table with us and I’d help her do the shopping and prepare and lay out everything if I could just sleep through Christmas day I would gladly to it but I can’t I have my dad who is 91 and my 2 girls 12 and 14 and they are relying on me so I just have to push through it, buts it’s going to be so hard.

Hi all,

I wanted to share an article on our website which may be helpful as the festive period approaches - Coping with grief at Christmas | Sue Ryder

It is a really difficult time of year for so many so please be kind to yourselves and keep sharing on here to lighten the load.

Take good care,

Kate
Sue Ryder Online Community team

1 Like