Coping with my partners upcoming birthday

Hello
Im new here but thought id like to give it a go. My partner passed away this january suddenly at the age of 36 we have a 1 year old and an 11 year old. It will be his 37th birthday on 20th April and im struggling with it being around the corner. One part of me wants to avoid the day but a bigger part wants to continue to celebrate him for the childrens sake as well. Just wondering if anyone has some tips on how to survive the first birthday without him. Thank you.

6 Likes

So sorry for your loss :broken_heart:
I’m only four weeks in and haven’t had to go through a birthday or big event without him yet. I’m dreading the day that I do. If you feel up to it I think going ahead and celebrating is a love idea especially for the children. When a significant day comes around for me I’ll probably just hibernate for the day :sob: x

3 Likes

@brown87 hi I am so sorry for the lost of your husband. I lost my husband a week before Christmas suddenly and still struggling every day. My son and myself birthdays was in march and we both decided not to celebrate our birthdays due to the sadness and out of respect. We have talked about celebrating my husband birthday which is in September a day after our anniversary. We thought that we will invite all the friends who have been supportive and have a BBQ as want to keep J memories alive. I know it will be a hard day so hopefully will have a lot of support. So very sad that it has come to this. Big hugs xx

4 Likes

Hi
Thank you so much for the reply. Im so sorry for your loss its a group you never expect to join but one im leaning so many people are a part of. Our daughter is so young i feel as the days go on shes moving further away from remembering him i think thats whats pushing me to celebrate his birthday as normal as possiable. Xx

2 Likes

Hello

Thank you so much for the reply. Im so sorry for the loss of your husband. I feel the same my birthday is in july and i feel this year i really dont want to do anything. Im just trying to focus on tackling the big things things like his birthday and then our daughters 2nd birthday and then the biggy fathers day. Its horrible having to get used to the new normal these days are going to be now. Sending hugs xx

3 Likes

Hi @brown87, so sorry youve had reason to join this group, so young too. My Bri passed last oct and its his first birthday in aug. Im also wondering what to do on his special day and im thinking of a celebration, to celebrate the birth of this wonderful man. And as @Hazel.1966 says I too want to keep his memory alive and he lived a good party. He would of been 48.
Sending hugs to you all xx

3 Likes

Sorry to hear of your loss, my wife died of cancer in December last year.
18 April would be her 70th birthday,
I’m going to the cemetery and I have decided that I will release a ballon. There is no right of wrong remember.
My way of dealing with the situation.
Good luck with your coming day. Do what you feel is right.

3 Likes

So sorry to hear of your loss. My gorgeous fantastic wife sue passed away on the first of February this year due to pancreatic cancer.its sues birthday on the 19th April .sues final journey was in our 7th wedding anniversary as sue wanted to hang on till after so that she wouldn’t spoil it for people. I told sue it was ok to let go .Still feeling lost but my daughter and stepson and family are really supportive and said were going out for a meal next Wednesday because they don’t want me to be sitting alone in the house .the friendship and support of this group is fantastic

1 Like

I so understand how you feel. My darling husband passed away May 2022 suddenly and unexpectedly … He would have been 70 on the 27th of this month and I am dreading it …and straight after that we are in to May and the anniversary of his passing. I like you want to just avoid the day/month ahead, but I know I can’t and have to just carry on. Its so hard. You have your children to think of too …they I’m sure miss him …maybe you could get them to release balloons for him ?? Take care x

2 Likes

I too am finding the thought of birthdays really hard. I’m dreading my partner’s in December as I know I will be thinking of his birthday last year as we went on holiday for it. Then he died in January.
I have my birthday next weekend and we had planned a weekend away. Originally I wanted to still go but now all I want to do is forget it. The thought of being away without him being there is too much.
Now my children keep asking what I want to do for my birthday. I know they mean well and want me to have a nice day so we will do something. It’s just so hard. :disappointed:

1 Like

Hi
I meet my wife on the 21 December 1972 and laid her to rest on 21 December 2022,
My family are taking me out for breakfast the morning of her birthday.
Family are great help.

1 Like

My husband and I celebrated our June birthdays in 2021 in the Lake District with all our family including 3 dogs as we always made a family event of each birthday. Alan loved these get togethers. He died suddenly a couple of months later in September 2021. We chose to carry on as he would have wanted. We still go away as a family and marked the first year of his passing by going to the races for the day.

Since Alan passed away I’ve attended our daughters wedding and welcomed our first grand child. This year we’ll be celebrating our daughters 30th birthday.

It’s not easy at all but myself and the family will carry on the best we can in his memory.

No way is the wrong way - we’re all different and cope in different ways xx

1 Like

@brown87, sorry for your sad loss. I lost my husband last April and his birthday was in May. My son and I went out to one of our favourite restaurants to celebrate his birthday. I think I was still numb from his loss so it passed quite uneventfully. I think this year will be harder as the realism of him not being here anymore feels stronger. Wishing you all the best xx

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss. The firsts are always the hardest, try not to put yourself under pressure to do anything as you may not feel up to it on the actual day. If you do feel up to it, try and keep it simple, a nice meal and raise a glass of his favourite drink, light a candle next to a birthday card for him. Plant a nice shrub, rose bush or tub in the garden or just a bouquet of flowers. Bake a cake in honour of him. The children can take part too.
Don’t overthink it, let an idea come naturally. Hope this helps
Lyn

3 Likes

Bless you so young. Brian would have been 70 so on his birthday i went for a meal the went to the pub and danced and sang my head off
he would have loved it as he was life and soul
Take Care

3 Likes

Hello

Im sorry for the loss of your wife and thank you for taking the time to reply. I have also bought some special balloons for our children to let off and we will have some cake too. Sending you hugs for the 18th xx