CREATING A SHRINE FOR MY MAM

Hi Neil :slight_smile:
Not sure what I expected the stage to be like but I can see why you say it was immersive x looks like you had a nice day too judging by the photos x
Must be your birthday next weekā€¦is it Wed or Thurs? Do you have any plans for it? x
Iā€™ve got my first Osprey Watch tomorrow so looking forward to that and all being well I have another shift on Saturday morning at 6am!! I donā€™t know why I agree let alone choose these shifts :joy: x
You up to anything this weekend? x Iā€™m heading to my pals for pizza and to watch the Mandalorian so will check in again tomorrow and let you know how my first watch goes x
Thank you for posting your show photos :star_struck: x
Take care and much love :two_hearts: x

4 Likes

Hello all !!!
Been looking through my pics of the garden (was out there last week I think) and feel quite hopeful again with Springtime arriving. It feels like Iā€™ve been gone for ages and I know I have a lot to catch up on but wanted to post while I feel able as Iā€™ve not been able to despite wanting to. Missed you all! Iā€™ll catch up properly tomorrow.
My little robin is very busy nesting in the buddha head outside the kitchen door (smashed during delivery). Iā€™m sure itā€™s mam keeping an eye on me! Hope so. Got some lovely pics.

I keep a ready supply of bird seed, mealy worms, fat pellets and balls for all the hungry workers and babies.

It was nice and sunny while I was clearing the patio

with blue skies overhead.

Porsch enjoyed sitting out too.

Lovely to see trees in bud

and my climbing rose overhead
The climbers are really sprouting

and I have lots of tubs to plant out

with one flower already

My cherry blossom has flowered for the first time

and here are a variety of ā€˜firstsā€™:
daffodil and blue grape,

buttercups,

Sweet William (Mamā€™s fave and mine). Reminds me of the plush velvet parties dresses she made us. Mine was blue and my sisterā€™s was rust orange/brown. Lovely.

Hyacinths are doing well

New bulbs in tubs are growing each day

Pansies are starting to come out to play

and I have new growth on the irises

and peonies.

My ā€˜lawnā€™ (if you can really call it that! is lined in jewels of colour

Delighted to see my strawberries have survived under their fleece over winter

Iā€™ll use the fleece to make new bunting for the patio as my lovely lace flags have seen better days.

I took my fave chub chair and sofa to the skip

so I can clean and cement the patio slabs to stop the bird seed growing in the shingle between (mucky job Iā€™m not looking forward to doing).
The messy hedgehogs have certainly made themselves at home

and are enjoying the cat food I put out each night. Off to do that now.
Looking at my pics has reconnected me to you all again. Iā€™ve felt so lost and alone and so upset about mam. Nothing I do fills the hole.
Debbie, I got your lovely Easter card and it made me smile and cry at the same time because itā€™s just like the ones mam used to give. I tried to keep the mini eggs but that didnā€™t last long! Thank you. I love choclate.
Suzanne, hope youā€™ve had a fab birthday and have treated yourself to something nice.
Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve missed so much and have lots to catch up on so will be back tomorrow. You have no idea how relived I feel to be back!
Oh, and hereā€™s mamā€™s Mothers day daffs

and card.

I am still surprised at how many layers the sadness has. Itā€™s so overwhelming. I become immersed in it, despite pockets of being busy. But hopefully I can get back to a routine again where my day is filled with things to take me a bit further away from it so Iā€™m not drowning again. I certainly have lots of jobs waiting for me now that Spring has arrived!
Love you all ! xxx

7 Likes

Hi Suzanne
That floor was full of people from the audience by the time the show started and the actors were coming in and out with the stage changing shape each time . Was a total sell out last night and had the House Full signs up ready.
Birthday on Easter Sunday. Treated myself to a birthday cake( chocolate) in case I dont get one this year. Made sure I have now !
Nothing planned this weekend
Sending love and best wishes
Neil x

4 Likes

Hello sweetie yer Iā€™m ok mum sadly passed away on the 10th march she was so peaceful I miss her so much the funeral isnā€™t until the nearly the end of April my tears strangely have stopped Iā€™m putting this down to the fact that I spent five monthā€™s greiving for my mum even though she hadnā€™t gone but I think Iā€™ve done so much crying that I Just canā€™t cry any more I feel so guilty for not crying I do miss my mum Im keeping my self too busy and then Iā€™m too tired to cry but Iā€™m scared of the funeral soundā€™s odd Iā€™m thinking that Iā€™m going to literally break or maybe Iā€™ve had so much greif that Iā€™ve come immune to the heartache my beautiful mum has her wish of two white horses and a carriage thatā€™s the one thing she has always wanted Just wish I could tell her that Iā€™ve made another wish come true for her xx

4 Likes

Dear Christine, am new here - wanted to thank you for creating this thread and have been reading all the posts for some time now.
Wanted to let you know that am pleased youā€™ve sent a message again and love the pictures youā€™ve sent of your robin! Amazing to see him so close up! And really liked seeing pics of your garden and your lovely cat too xxx

3 Likes

Hi Kirsty,
I canā€™t imagine having had to wait that long for the funeral x. I can empathise with the exhaustion and no tears left as I remember being like that. I found by the time the funeral came (and I only had two weeks to wait) I felt more nervous about what I thought people would expect of me eg cry/not cry, shake hands at the end etc in the end I found it slightly easier (if thatā€™s the word) than I feared x
I hope come your day and with the stunning farewell that you have planned it will be a celebration of her life and happy memories x donā€™t be forced into doing anything you donā€™t want to x
How are you coping day to day? Are you back to work (if you work of course)?
Take care of yourself and hopefully chat soon x

2 Likes

Hiya :slight_smile:
Thank you for posting and we have all been blessed Christine started this thread over a year agoā€¦absolutely crazy x
Hope you are coping with your loss as much as you can.
Take care of yourself

3 Likes

Thank you Suzanne, itā€™s so so hard and miss and yearn for my mother so very very much. Difficult to talk to others but know that you all sadly understand all too well hereā€¦
Thinking of all of you tooā€¦

3 Likes

Feel free to tell us as much or as little about your mum and your grieving journey as you feel you can x
Thinking of you x

3 Likes

Thanks for your kind words Suzanne. I miss my mother so muchā€¦
Am finding it very hard to accept and always think more could have been done medically and even things better emotionally - so much wanted the best for herā€¦
Trying to take things one very small step at a time.
Difficult to do anything much - have to force myself to do thingsā€¦
Thanks again and my thoughts to you all xxx

4 Likes

Hi Beki,
Iā€™m so sorry I missed being here for your mamā€™s anniversary. I always seem to be questioning why Iā€™m feeling or not feeling or how Iā€™m reacting etc. Thereā€™s no right way to react. Someone said however we feel is the natural way to be and I take some comfort in that. It is exhausting and giving into sleeping when you need to is good in your recovering. Iā€™m glad you have such a good bond with your granddad and that you can support each other. I think being alone at home most of the time cements the trauma and I just keep getting sucked back in. Itā€™s like quick sand and I canā€™t find a way out. But reading and posting again is a start to getting back on track. Iā€™ve missed you all ! Getting out in the garden and seeing my Spring flowers starting to bloom makes me hopeful.
Lots of love xxx

4 Likes

Hi Palou,
Nice to meet you. Itā€™s strange finding friendship in such a dark place. Iā€™m pleased youā€™re enjoying my garden pics . Itā€™s lovely seeing my robins nesting just outside the kitchen door in the old buddha head. I watched to see where they were going as theyā€™d been busy for days. Keeping the birds fed is my daily routine and always lifts my spirit. Itā€™s lovely seeing my bulbs opening. I have so many jobs to do and am looking forward to getting busy in the garden again. Being stuck inside over winter has taken itā€™s toll but Iā€™m hoping I can start posting again with regular updates and pics like I was doing before. Iā€™ve really missed everyone here. Sometimes the grief takes hold and wonā€™t let me go. Whatever we can do to keep going is precious. I always marvel at how strong people are. Grief is the hardest thing I have ever endured. Itā€™s like a secret. We could have never prepared for the intensity and shock of it. But being here is comforting and posting helps. Welcome xxx

4 Likes

Hi Debbie,
I completely understand about the pond. Could you get everyone round with bags of compost and plants and make a day of it, revamping the areas that need boosting? Maybeā€™s have a tea party in honour of Doug to celebrate his love of the pond? The kids would love it and you have such a loving family. I think to let it go would be heartbreaking for you. Itā€™s the perfect time with Easter coming up and it could be an ongoing project you could all enjoy. I was always involved in the old garden and helped mam with everything from planting bulbs, picking fruit, weeding (my fave job because itā€™s so satisfying) and watering (2 hours to get round it all). If the family know how devastated you will be Iā€™m sure they will help to keep it going. Many hands make light work is very true. A couple of hours would see it done and you would feel happy and relieved again. Itā€™s a living shrine.
Iā€™m hoping to get cracking on cleaning up the patio and arranging my pots which are starting to burst with colour. The winter has taken itā€™s toll and Iā€™m determined to get out and make an effort again. Iā€™ve really missed you all and posting my updates on my garden adventures. I need to buy plants for my pond and encourage the frogs and toads again. I read somewhere that cress is easy to grow. Mam always had a cress on the kitchen window so Iā€™ll try that when it turns a bit warmer. Iā€™ve just put most of my winter woolies in the loft and weā€™re due an arctic blast again.
I think youā€™re more than ready for your Easter break off work. Just a thought. Could your church become a gardening inspiration for the kids? Maybeā€™s a couple of hours at yours with a cupcake and bottle of pop for some planting if the soil is prepared? That would drive me mad trying to supervise but you are so well organised with your activities. Could be a regular thing for them to be involved in nature. All kids love water and if they plant up the outside they can watch it all develop over time, through the seasons. Another avenue to explore. Youā€™ll have so much free time when you do retire I think youā€™d regret getting letting the pond go. And it is such a wonderful thriving part of the garden. To cut down on work elsewhere you could let areas go a bit wild to encourage natural habitation. My robins were only attracted to the buddha head because of the ivy.
Hope you are feeling a bit more hopeful today. Youā€™ll be getting out into the garden more when the weather improves. Itā€™s so therapeatic.
So pleased Iā€™m starting to post again. Missed you all x
Lots of love xxx

4 Likes

Hi Neil,
Iā€™m back! Just catching up with you all. I have so much to read. Iā€™ve been so immersed in grief again and donā€™t know why itā€™s so brutal after all this time (18th week of mams 2nd year). I kept thinking that the more I was doing the more diluted grief was becoming but I was deceiving myself into thinking I was ā€˜getting on with lifeā€™ when I was just distracting myself. The swimming and creating new textiles work still feels ā€˜emptyā€™ but I felt much better for seeing my niece and nephew. Being so isolated and cut off from the rest of the family has really taken itā€™s toll. My sister up north is very busy but I do get the occasional text in reply to mine every so often and Iā€™m always thrilled to hear from her.
I think itā€™s great that you keep going with your love of theatre and the arts. I seem to have a good run and feel like Iā€™m doing well and then come to a stop. This ā€˜stopā€™ has been going for a while but Iā€™m pleased to get back to you all again. Iā€™ve really missed you!
Glad to know when your birthday is so I can send you a card, even if it is a virtual one. And well done for getting a chocky cake. I canā€™t wait for my treats and have them as soon as I pop my shopping away. I have no willpower! Iā€™ll be ordering Easter eggs for the children and hope to see them over Easter but canā€™t guarantee how long the eggs will last ! I always used to eat half of my sisterā€™s Easter egg and then cover the missing bit with the foil again, turning it round so nobody would notice. Sheā€™d be furious and Iā€™d always pretend it wasnā€™t me and blame the shop for selling dodgy goods!!! Chocolate is my one vice.
I do admire your determination to keep going. Just posting today has been a real effort. Itā€™s not that I havenā€™t missed you all and not wanted to post like I was. Everything has been an struggle. I think I realised that whatever I do wonā€™t fill the void or ease the pain of missing mam.
I always think of you when I get flowers for mam and wonder how long theyā€™ll last because you have some kind of magic with yours. My daffs for Mothers Day were wonderful and then died suddenly. The vase is very long and I stuffed it with plastic bags to fill it up so Iā€™m thinking that must have been the reason. But they were splendid when they were in bloom.
Enjoy your next theatre adventure. Always love seeing the pics x
Lots of love xxx

5 Likes

Hi Kirsty,
However you are feeling at that time is exactly the right way to be feeling. Itā€™s the 18th week of mamā€™s 2nd year and Iā€™ve been drowning in sorrow again and unable to post here or do much at all. Grief becomes a new way of living. It feels like a battle to keep going. We have some kind of self preservation in us that drives us forward, however hard it feels. You will never become immune to grief. You may think youā€™re doing ok and it will knocked you down again. I always think of it as a stormy sea and Iā€™ve been trapped for a while now but feel like Iā€™m coming out of it again. Posting helped me before and Iā€™m so pleased to be back again. The people here are so kind and truly understand what you are feeling. Iā€™ve missed everyone so much.
Your mam will always be with you because you are a part of her. She will have been watching over you and be delighted with her beautiful horses and carriage on her big day. Some people write journals to express love and talk to their loved ones. Whatever helps you to give comfort is precious. Iā€™m sure your mam is very proud that you made another of her wishes come true.
Lots of love xxx

4 Likes

Hi Tina,
Hello old friend! It feels like Iā€™ve been away for such a long time and Iā€™m finally finding a path back to you all. Iā€™ve missed you so much. I donā€™t know why it was so hard posting. I felt like I was drowning again but was too upset to reach out to anyone. I canā€™t understand why Iā€™ve been so devastated again. The swimming and creating new textiles has been ongoing, on and off, but it is empty and doesnā€™t fill the void that mam has left in me. Everything is isolated and doesnā€™t create a sense of well being or fulfillment. But Iā€™m feeling more hopeful with Spring, seeing new colour in pots and Iā€™m eager (maybe thatā€™s pushing it a bit!) to get out into the garden, have a tidy up and rearrange the patio as a starting point. Might even have a bbq with my niece / nephew over Easter if the weather warms up a bit. Might have to get some winter woollies back out the loft, having put away a lot of stuff when the sun came out!
Glad to see Zoe is still keeping you on your toes. Porsch is as demanding as ever with her screaming for food. Always takes me by surprise. Sheā€™s fast asleep now. Likes having a mooch about the garden throughout the day, just little bits with me waiting for her at the kitchen door while I look out at all the work waiting for me. I have so much to do. But I did like Debbieā€™s sign about letting the garden rest a little while longer. Itā€™s a good excuse to put off doing anything.
I have so much reading to catch up on. But itā€™s a relief to get back to you all. Iā€™ve felt so lost and just wanted my mam. It really doesnā€™t get any easier but I feel hopeful again.
Lots of love xxx

3 Likes

So effective. It reminds me of a stained glass window and is inspiring me on to create a new textile after I finish everything else I have in boxes throughout the house. Will you frame it and if you were to hang at the window would the light stream through the beads to create a prism effect in the room? Have you another to start?
Just reminded me to get my plastic garlands out soon and hang over the pond. I still want to create mobile hangings in the garden. x

3 Likes

Hi again,
That is fab, especially if it creates a prism effect with the light. Iā€™m always collecting bits for my work and love recycling. It creates unique and organic thinking. I keep my stained glass window (created from plastic chocky wrappers) on the bathroom windowsill because of the beautiful light effect and replaces the dark bamboo blinds. And because itā€™s on a frame (cellotaped on) I can move it off to clean the condensation. But an alternative I havenā€™t tried yet would be glass paint. Maybeā€™s try that in the sitting room to stop the creep watching me. And because the tree and itā€™s branches giving some cover was cut down (resting on the gutter) Iā€™m very aware that Iā€™m even more exposed than before. Just heard the creepā€™s door but I still have all my curtains closed. Must dash now so I can get ready. x

3 Likes

Hi again Kirsty.
Iā€™m still reading posts and am working backwards so have just realised that your mam left you this year. Iā€™m so so sorry. I know how utterly devastated you are. Our mams are such a precious gift. They are our everything. They are the essence of who we are. Your mam would be so grateful to you moving in to look after her. You will always have those precious memories so take comfort in them. She will always be with you, in your heart and your thinking. When you struggle to cope you will hear her words of wisdom. I still want to be with mam and it seems that my time now is in just waiting to be with her again. Sheā€™ll be waiting for you, whenever that time is. I think thatā€™s comforting, that we just have to keep going until we can join our loved ones again. We are all truly blessed to have been loved and to love in return. That will keep us all going.
Thinking of you xxx

3 Likes

Hi Nick,
Have you tried asking your close neighbours if she has popped by to see them? My friend/neighbour has a very poorly cat (2 doors down) who suddenly appeared in my kitchen yesterday and he has never come near me since Iā€™ve known him as a baby. I was shocked to see how thin he has become (he has cancer). He was always a big feisty boy, hissing at me and giving me the evil eye if I passed him as he sat above me on the pergola. It is heartbreaking to lose our cats. They are like babies. Does she have special treats that could tempt her back? She could be watching you calling to her if sheā€™s made a little nest somewhere. I know thereā€™s nothing to say or do that will help you feel any less desperate to have her come home. Try to take some comfort in knowing that she has had a wonderful life with you. Itā€™s all we have. Nature is so cruel. I know we canā€™t all last forever and it would be so exhausting if we did but we can never be prepared for the loss. She may still turn up and surprise you. Can you faff about in the garden for some time throughout the day so she can hear you if she is close by? We had a cat (Marmalade - big ginger tom) and heā€™d got lost exploring the gardens. My dad shouting of him every morning at 6 am before the roar of traffic started and he found his way home eventually. Very skinny but after a good bite to eat he went to bed like heā€™d never been away. Fingers crossed x

4 Likes