CREATING A SHRINE FOR MY MAM

Hi Debbie,
Yes, been enjoying that sunshine and eventually got lots done inbetween my nonogram puzzle book (so addictive!) Will post my pics tomorrow with a detailed account of everything as usual. The garden is really looking very ‘full’ now and plants are shooting up from a week ago. The creep went out so I made the most of it. I was out until about 8.30 and only came in because my fox wanted it’s tea and was faffing and darting about the garden until I went in. Was really pleased that the new detective drama at 9 is my fave actress from Unforgotton.
You have been a busy bee and your log edging looks very effective. Doug will be impressed that it’s so neat! I remember doing that with my dad. You’ll be impressed with my lawn. It has really taken hold and already needs a trim. My garden is so in need of being weeded and cut back. I am well jel of your neat borders! I know how much work has gone into that with all the tidying. Your silver plant is often called ‘lambs ears’ because of the furry texture. Think I’ll get some too. I’ve been arranging my plants for the trellis area by the pond. Gardening Express is a really good online shop. Couldn’t believe the size of the plants. They were on offer.
It must feel so strange to not have the old pond now, seeing the old structure being carved up must have been quite emotional? That is such a massive achievement and to have done it before the summer hols means you can enjoy the space without having to tackle it in the heat. Can you believe it’s nearly June? You’ll be on your summer hols soon and be ticking off that calendar, counting down your days to freedom.
When I was roaming around the garden taking my pics and generally having a mooch I came across a tiny white feather too. I always think of mam and hope she is watching over me and can see what I am creating. I was looking out for my baby bird too but there’s so much fighting going on in the feeding frenzy it’s hard to keep track.
Your old pond area will make a fab shaded spot in the summer. It’s going to be nice all next week, like today.
Might have a quick swim tomorrow. I did so much today that my fingers are throbbing! Will post my pics before I go. See you after church!
Lots of love xxx

4 Likes

Hi Beki,
And thank you for your beautiful gift! I am so chuffed. Tina had the same idea so I have a collection of prisms hanging from the fig tree, bathing me in light while I sit on the patio in the sunshine (so hot today). I’m going to see what bits I have in my old jewelry box and make a hanging tree of light and colour. They dangle quite low so I am able to walk through rather than have them above me. Feel blessed and loved! And I’m feeling heaps better. The sadness seems to lift all of a sudden, which is a relief.
Been doing lots of jobs between lazing in the sun and doing my puzzlebook (nonogram - very addictive). I always feel like I ought to be busy, even if I am exhausted. But I will try a swim tomorrow to get started on my old half hour routine.
Love your scarf! I still haven’t attempted mending the ancient crochet blanket I helped mam create when I was little (50 years ago! OMG! I was 3.) I bought wools last year and looked up ‘how to crochet a granny square’ on you tube to refresh my memory but still have to start it. Wish I could clone myself so I could get lots done. What do you do with all your scarves? You could sell them online (try Etsy and Folksy).
Love your seaside treasures. My fave is the blue and white rock that looks like a face (eye and teeth with a pointy nose). When I was little dad would drill a small hole in the shells so I could make a necklace.
What is the well dressing? Sounds a bit like Mother Shiptons cave, where visitors would hang things and they would become crystalised with the water raining down.
Enjoy your lunch hun. I’ll post pics of my garden antics tomorrow.
Lots of love and thank you again for my lovely garden jewel. xxx

4 Likes

Hi feel your pain with your loss my loss was my grandmother the love of my life was with her when she took her last breath but ive not been able to handle it since

5 Likes

Hello Deangee

I’m sorry you are having to go through this Dean. I read you was with your Grandmother and can truly empathize, it’s something no-one can ever prepare you for. There’s always someone here, so whatever your support is at home you can come back here. Maybe you just want to read or chat and both are ok.

Sending compassionate thoughts and kind wishes xx

5 Likes

Hi Christine

I will pop back to reply to your message when it’s a bit quieter here but just wanted to say I was pleased to hear the parcel got to you ok.

I was at first going to add some “pretty” candles and you may have thought the citronella was an odd choice but I thought they’d come in useful when you are sitting reading your book on those warm nights.

I’ll pop in later Christine, enjoy the sun.

xx

4 Likes

Hi Deangee
So pleased you have found us here but obviously in the worst possible circumstances. I’m so sorry that you have to start this journey. The love you have for your Grandmother will never leave you. She will always be with you, however you manage to get through the day. Is there something you can do to fill in the hours? I garden because it was how I spent time with my mam in her old garden. I aways think of her and imagine her alongside me as I’m working. This is a real nightmare but you will find as time passes (and it does) that you adjust into a routine on good days and wonder how you will ever get through it on the bad days. It’s been 1 year, 25 weeks and 3 days since mam left me and I still cannot accept it or make sense of it. I find myself returning to the past and wanting to make it perfect for her. I know I can’t. Filling in time focuses my attention but it doesn’t long. This site and the real friendships I have made here has been my rock. People know how you feel. There is no judgment but kindness and empathy. You will see we post pics of what we have been doing (mine are garden adventures with my cat Porscha). We are inspired and motivated to try to do something too. When I’m really upset I can’t even read posts and miss them terribly but always catch up and feel so much better for it. Nothing makes sense now. I feel like I don’t belong in my life without my mam. I find it helps me to chat about her here. It won’t change things but gives some comfort. I hope you find it helps you too, even if you just read our posts. Feeling closer to people who are experiencing the same pain is helpful because we don’t feel as alone. All we can do is keep going and negotiate the pain of grief as it engulfs us. It will end. There will be respite. And to not be able to cry is our bodies way of trying to recover. I felt so guilty when I couldn’t cry anymore. I’m in tears again today. Sometimes there is no reason at all. However you are getting through this I’m so pleased we are here for you. There’ll always be someone here and if not it won’t be long before someone pops by.
I found it helpful to create my shrine of mam. I also created a tribute site for her, posting pics and details which I update regularly. It’s incredibly upsetting to see her there but I always feel better for telling her what I have been doing and how I am feeling.
It is because we love so deeply that we are destroyed by grief. I do hope there is a spiritual world beyond this life where we meet our loved ones again. I feel as though I’m just waiting now to join my mam in the future. Have you had any ‘signs’ from your Grandma, of white feathers and robins (messengers from loved ones)? I found loads and continue to. Just yesterday there was a tiny fluffy feather as I was photographing the garden.

I like to think that mam is telling me she’s still with me and will never leave me. There must be more to this life than what we see.
I hope you are able to post and accept our friendship. And enjoy my gardening pics! I have lots to post from yesterday.
Lots of love xxx

4 Likes

Hi Tina,
I had forgotton to say about the candles (so excited with the prisms!) Citronella is the perfect garden scent. Reminds me of mam in the old garden. She must have had sweet blood as they say because she was always getting bitten. I have so many bites on my head (why the head?!) that I was relieved to have it next to me while I sat with my puzzle. The prisms are lovely, sending rainbows into the kitchen. I feel very loved indeed!
Creep has gone out at last but I am so tired from yesterday I haven’t rushed out to get cracking like I normally would. Not going swimming either. Think I need a rest from anything physical! So will sit out with Porsch and start my new puzzle book before The Creepy Bollock (as I refer to him) gets back. Can here the starlings scrapping as they always do. I rescued another baby today but this guy was fierce! Starlings are very pretty birds but I wouldn’t like to be attacked by one. The babe had gone stuck behind my painted fence panel, propped against the wall. It started screeching at me like it was being murdered and managed to get along the garden. Porsch didn’t even register what was going on. I’m sure she’s a bit deaf now.
Not so sunny today, quite overcast, but if I sit out with a cuppa it will break up the day and get me focused again. So shattered.
See you later with lots of pics.
Lots of love xxx

5 Likes

Hello Dean, I sorry to hear about you grandmother, and you found us here due to sadness. It does not matter what the relationship losing someone you love, it is really hard. We are a friendly bunch and like to chatter about anything and everything but most of all to support each other.
I’m like Christine I love gardening, it was my husband’s favourite place to be and I do it for him and myself.
Love Debbie x

4 Likes

Hi Christine, had another good day in the garden. Cut the grass when I got home from church, had lunch then went back outside.
Shifted the last of the compost, hosed down that corner, rearranged my pots, gnomes and garden bench/table.
I used some of the compost to level the bare patches of lawn and reseeded those areas. Just hope the birds don’t keep digging it up. Planted my silver leaf plants and just have to water later when the sun goes down a bit.
Now just sitting in the garden with a cuppa.
I hope you got to swimming today.
Here’s some photos

Just chilling out now for the rest of the daily getting ready for work tomorrow, at least this is the last week of term before May half term.
Sending love Debbie xx

3 Likes

The last photo didn’t load of my sweet peas so here it is x

5 Likes

Hi all :slight_smile:
Just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone but have been reading all the posts and enjoy all the photos x

@NEILB72 glad you enjoyed Harry Potter and that you have so many shows to look forward to. Really gives you something to look forward to. How are you feeling now?
My friend has booked us to go up Tower Bridge when we’re down in London next month so not sure how gonna deal with it as don’t like heights but suppose I’ll just have to deal with it lol x
Any move forward on the employment front? Have you seen any jobs you fancy applying for lately? x
Meant to ask you…how is your neighbour doing lately…the one you took to hospital? What are you doing with yourself to keep busy when not going to your shows? How’s football going? x :two_hearts:

@christine51 how are you doing? Hope you’re enjoying the sunny weather? It’s not been sunny up here the last couple of days but it’s been so warm that I’ve had a headache but that’s cause I don’t drink enough water lol x. When are you meeting your niece this week? Maybe if she’s only free at weekends her boyfriend is expecting/demanding that she spend it with her. So although it’s sad that she cancelled on you it probably didn’t reflect how she feels about meeting with you as it comes across that she very much likes spending time with you. Also glad that you’re still swimming :swimming_woman: x :green_heart:

Went to see Rich Hall on Thursday which was funny so was nice to have a good laugh. Next show I have apart from Lion King in London is Russell Howard in July.
Really need to watch the pennies over the next few months and save for the MOT in August :weary::joy: x

@Deangee9 sorry to hear about your granny and always would like to hear about her when you feel up to it. Hopefully you have some good people near you that can help support you x

@Palou @ForestCat @Nick22 hope you are all keeping well and finding some comfort and peace x

Love also to all the lovely ladies here :purple_heart:

IMG_9842

7 Likes

Hi Christine

That was a lovely reply that you wrote to Deangee. I think it really does say everything so perfectly.

Glad you liked the prism things. I am totally mesmerized by the rainbow flashes from glass suncatcher’s and in the right position even the glass lights up with different flecks.

I think the entire street has been out in force today. I went to Asda first thing, well for 10.30am rather thinking I’d avoid the crowd but it was actually mad busy. I was hoping for a quiet day but I was clearing up all day (not my mess) and just as I finished I had barely enough time to enjoy my efforts before it all started again. I am going to go to bed shortly and finish everything else of tomorrow when he’s at work.

Hahaha, you made me laugh with “creepy bollock” that’s so apt I can imagine. I can imagine also him strutting his creepy stuff with his power tools. Probably thinks he’s the dog’s bollocks as they say, with his neighbours.

Just nipped to co-op for a few extras an hour or so ago. There wasn’t a soul out with it being Sunday night. Bit scary though as it was daylight when I went but dark on my way home.

Well, I’ll see if I can get to bed before he gets in.

Speak shortly

xx

3 Likes

Nice photos, for a split second that one of the rock/tree stump looked like a cat with its back to the camera with two little ears. Anybody would think I’ve been on the cider!

4 Likes

They are so lovely Debbie. Its a nice little Oasis by the look of it. Plants are so pretty

3 Likes

Hi Suzanne
Lovely nature pics as always . Thank you for posting them.
Still applying for several jobs and just waiting for a breakthrough and something that I really like the look of.
My friend had his procedure and has been going back for check ups and so far so good!
Harry Potter was great , really enjoyed it. Hoping to see Guardians of the Galaxy 3 this week before the kids break up for half term !
Hope you have a good week.
Sending love and best wishes
Neil x

4 Likes

Hi Tina19,

I have not been so well the last few days but, today is a much better day. I have even done some gardening the last two days. - I did get a complaint from the council because some plants are overgrowing some of the foot path. The stupid thing that they would only give me problems because the path is just next to my drive. No one else is using that part of the path. Not even I use that part. I should have take some pictures, before and after. Perhaps they want to complain about my garden also. - Well, I worked on the overgrown plants for almost 3 hour today, and no problems with my energy today, but, I feel my back. - Nick

3 Likes

Hi Debbie57, thanks, I am much better today, only slight head ache today. I did some work on my front garden yesterday and today. I just wrote Tina19 about it. I had a lot of energy today. - Nick

3 Likes

Hi Suzanne30, I always like looking a pictures, especially animals. Great sky on the 5th photo. - Nick

2 Likes

Hi Debbie,
I’ve been so exhausted the last few days with doing the garden and swimming with my niece that I’ve not been posting but have all my pics ready. You have been a busy bee! Doing the work now, like I’ve been doing, means you can sit back in the half term and enjoy the fruits of your labour. I still have my fence to finish but have all the bits so just a case of actually doing it. Have been potting up new plants and have more to come to finish that area. I always feel guilty spending money on large plants but it is the thing I enjoy most, as well as swimming (did a cheeky half hour after therapy Tues on my own and am meeting my niece after work shortly). Once the area is potted up I can rest and then try to plant in in Autumn (see what the soil is like).
All the babies have been joining their mothers on the feeding frenzy, paddling in the pond and having a wash (the cutest thing). When they get lost I help them onto a basket or branch and see they aren’t left behind. I’ve had to rescue a few and chase the cats away from along the doors. It’s magical watching them. The starlings are so funny and the males seem to be feeding the younger females (who are very demanding!). It’s like sitting in an aviary at feeding time, flapping amongst the canopy overhead. The noise is unbelievable. I’ll try to film it and post but not sure how to.
I love this time of year when new buds start opening and seeing the garden blossom every day. Really sad that my foxgloves and a fern have died. I’ve asked for replacements or refunds. I love your lupin. Reminds me of the old garden and I’m just hoping my new hostas are even half as well developed at that blue guy in the background. However magnificent or delicate a flower or plant I still love daisies as they remind me of childhood, making necklaces and bracelets. Mam would do the nail bit as I bite mine and hers were always long and nicely shaped. She’d always wear whatever gifts she was given, however vile! (thinking of my rose petal perfume creations).
Getting your corner sorted is a huge achievement. You’ll be able to enjoy some shade and then move over to the other seat as the sun travels round. I’m going to rearrange the old metal beds (ancient from when the children were little and I recued them) so I can always find a shady spot as I can’t bear the sun. Going to be lovely this weekend (23 - 27).
I’ll quickly post some of my jobs over the last few days but before I do I thought of you when I discovered this:

So here are my jobs. Potted up new fruit trees.

Moved dead things and will see what they are in Autumn (fingers crossed).

Potted up and started arranging the trellised area at the back of the pond. Will live with it for summer and see if I can dig in Autumn. Have bamboos, climbers, acers, hostas, hydrangea, heukera.

dug up the old slate path (now a new sloping bank in pond).

Mulched roses at base with manure.

Mulched bathtub and scattered my nasturtians.

Potted up pumpkin seeds I’d kept from last year (2 to a pot like Monty advised).

Rhubarb has new growth since mulching so delighted with that.

Laid new gravel path to the small pond at the top under the trees, weeding the beds and mulching, removing waterbuts and the top decking board of the raised structure.

Resited the bench so I can sit in the shade and still see the pond but be hidden from nosy neighbours!

Will repurpose the old wheelbarrow as a container for hostas. Perfect for the sloped area.

Amazed my reseeded lawn is already quite thick in places. Will have to cut in the edges again and reseed the bare patches.

Desperately need to get in and weed the border!

Resited water buts so I now have 4 for the orchard area.

Resited the Diana fountain to be viewed from the patio through the bamboo. Draws the eye into that ‘room’ further up the garden.

Roses potted up and placed in tricky spot beneath the tree. Close to the patio for scent.Sweet peas will join them and grow up mams xmas tree which is looking quite bronzed now. I’m hoping it will grow roots and be ok for xmas but I doubt it!

I have so many more picks but have to dash as I have to go soon. But here’s where the baby bird got it’s head stuck.

Going to get my little princess in. Here she is enjoying some sun. Such a pretty!

Will be back when I return from swimming.
Lots of love xxx

5 Likes

Hi Neil,

Glad to hear you’re not just taking the first job that comes along as I’ve done that before and never works out well.
My friends are going down to Harry Potter world next month as she is a massive HP fan but hasn’t had any luck finding tickets to the Cursed Child but I reckon she would would struggle to sit that long as she has fibromyalgia and might be a bit much for her. I did tell her you enjoyed it and she just laughed at me rubbing it in :joy: x

How are you doing this week? The weather up here has certainly been a lot better than I thought it would be so enjoying going for a wee walk after tea last few nights. Had to work a 12 hour day on Monday as someone phoned in sick but luckily my boss let me away a couple of hours early today so evens out.

I’ve heard good things about GOTG3 so do hope you get to see it before kids spoil it lol x
Any football on the horizon to keep you happy? x
I’m in the groom room tomorrow so better get to bed at a sensible time ie stay off TikTok lol x

Look forward to hearing what you think of the movie so take care of yourself and much love :two_hearts: x

5 Likes