Dad is ready to move on but I’m really not

Hey
So I lost my mum almost 2 years ago from her courageous battle with pancreatic cancer. I miss her so much but I have accepted the fact that she is never coming back and I thought I was as ok as I can be,
However I have just been told by my dad that he is ready to start meeting people and has joined a dating app! He has his first date tomorrow evening.
This has completely thrown me and I don’t know where to turn. I want him to be happy and not alone but how do I tell him that I’m not ready to see him with anyone else.
I know it’s selfish of me and I know that no one will ever replace my mum and she would want him to be happy but I just feel so lost. I’ve not had anyone to speak to about this and my brain feels like it’s going to burst so I thought I would put it all down here.
Sorry for the long post
Hope everyone else is ok

@Amilou85 I’m sorry that you are going through this anguish. On a positive note, your dad has been honest and open with you before the event. He has also given almost 2 years to grieving your Mum and shown his respect for her.
Any new relationship he has will be totally new and not a comparison to your mum, nor should the new person be viewed as a replacement. She probably wouldn’t want to be, anyway.
He has probably been very sad and in a deep pit of despair (as you have), now he is trying to crawl out of it and start to live again.
You don’t need to meet any new dates he might have any time soon. I understand online dating is full of horror stories. He may be surprised and turned off by it for a while!
Please try to relax, take a few deep breaths. You don’t need to be his sounding board on this topic, I’m sure he can discuss it with his friends/colleagues instead of with you.
I hope this helps a bit. X

1 Like