Dad passed away

Hi

My Dad passed away 3 weeks ago after a 6 year battle with Leukemia.

My Dad never complained of anything and always acted as though there was nothing wrong even up to him going into hospital for a routine check up when he passed away after 5 days in hospital.

When he went in he was talking away and was absoulutly fine but deteriorated suddenly in the last few days after it was confirmed tumours had started growing in his stomach. On the last time i saw him before he went into a coma he was screaming in pain because they were weening him off a pain medication to give him another.

Its somthing that ive struggled to come to terms with since. After his passing i kept myself busy organising his funeral, and looking after things but now that has ended I feel empty.

I did go back into work last week and felt fine thinking get myself back into work would take my mind off things but at the start of this week everything has hit me and ive felt really down (hence writing this)

I thought keeping busy was the answer so if anyone has any advice on whats helped after a loss it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Skimmin,

Welcome to this community. I’m incredibly sorry to hear that your dad passed away only three weeks ago. It sounds as though this all happened quite suddenly and was distressing for you in the last few days, so it’s understandable that you’re struggling to come to terms with it.

Unfortunately there isn’t really an answer. Everyone copes with grief in different ways - some people find it helpful to jump straight back into routine, whilst others need more time to rest and process. The most important thing is to make sure that you’re listening to your body and doing what feels right for you - if you need to work, work, but if you need to rest then do. I’m sure other members of the community will have other advice and suggestions for you.

In the meantime, we have a couple of articles that may be useful for you to have a look at. One talks about how to cope with bereavement and the other talks about how long grief can last:

https://support.sueryder.org/practical-emotional-advice/how-can-i-cope-bereavement

https://support.sueryder.org/practical-emotional-advice/how-long-does-grief-last

Keep talking to us here as long as it helps and let me know if there’s anything I can do to support you.

Take care,
Eleanor