Dads suicide

Hi everyone,
I lost my dad 3 years ago today. The pain still feels raw sometimes. So many unanswered questions.
I have suffered with anxiety most of my life but had it under control before my dad passed away. Ever since then I have been struggling with pretty chronic bouts of anxiety. Have been taking meds for it excersing all the usual stuff the dr tells you to do when you have it. Just won’t stop for more than a week or a few days at the moment.
Was just wondering if there was anyone else out there that could relate to this? I have a good support network and have managed to hold down a job don’t know how? Just want my life back. Don’t know if Im still grieving or just suffering from the aftermath of it all ie mental illness.
Thanks
Gethin

Hi Gethin,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I am so sorry to hear that you lost your dad to suicide three years ago yesterday. An anniversary date can be particularly difficult so I hope you found some support reading through the posts on this community.

It sounds like you’re trying really hard to manage your anxiety and doing all the ‘right’ things, like exercising and using your support network. Grief can bring up all sorts of different emotions and it is common to experience anxiety after the loss of a loved one. Grief also doesn’t stick to any particular timeline and sometimes it can be a surprise and a worry to be grieving for some time. But this is completely normal, and it’s important to take care of yourself and move forwards at a pace that feels right for you.

I don’t know whether it’s something you’ve considered, but others on this community have found it helpful to seek support from a bereavement counsellor. It might be worth having a chat with your GP about what options are available, if this is something you think could help.

This community is a safe and supportive space to share your feelings and what you’re going through, so I hope you find reading the messages here and responding to others brings you some comfort.

Take care,
Eleanor
Online Community Manager