Dealing with grief before they pass

Hi, my name is Sue and my poor dad has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Everything is in place, hospice have been amazing, I’ve taken time off work to spend with him, but now everything is settled I’m feeling numb, like I’m just waiting for him to go. We’re making the most of everything and he’s really accepting, and well as can be expected but it’s the waiting………it’s hard to deal with. We don’t have a time line. Any tips? Thankyou for reading.

1 Like

You’re going to be numb,but it sounds like you’re already doing the right things.
Absolutely spend as much time with him as you can.Tell your dad everything you want to now, don’t have any regrets on that front. Go with each day as it comes.this time right now is so precious, although it won’t feel like it now this is such a special gift that is denied to lots of people.
I got to spend my mums last days with her in hospital along with my sister. We played her favourite music, watched her favourite films and both got to tell her how much we loved her. The anticipatory grief isn’t easy, be kind to yourself it’s possibly going to get difficult, exhausting, confusing….but beautiful at the same time ….best of luck to you both.

What a lovely reply thankyou so much, I’m lucky I have understanding employees, what you’ve said absolutely makes sense. I feel content with how things are going and pleased we’ve reconnected with all their old friends. Time is special and I’m making the most of it.

1 Like