Death of sister

Back history
My younger sister and I lost our mum unexpectedly 9 years ago, on our parents wedding anniversary. It tore a massive hole in our lives and hearts.
I have learnt to live with the loss/grief but unbeknown to me my sister hadn’t.
Quite recently I learnt that she had been totally devastated by the death of our mum and it had taken its toll on her mental health and her emotional being.
She had been feeling unwell for a few days with a water infection. I had seen her on the Saturday and spoken to her on the Sunday (Father’s Day). Our dad was in hospital as he is seriously ill and we both stated that we wouldn’t be able to go visit him due to us both feeling under the weather, that day. By the afternoon my sister had died, unexpectedly and suddenly. I had to visit our dad in the hospital on Father’s Day to tell him his youngest daughter had died. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. My dad is still seriously ill in hospital and I am trying to make sense of everything

Hello @Fragile1 ,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about your sister. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.
Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.
Take care,
Alex

Oh my love i am so so sorry to read this your heart must be breaking. I lost my Sister on 13th of May she was diagnosed with cancer in February and we had no time to make any memories as she was in so much pain and too poorly. My heart goes out to you for your loss as i totally understand how you feel x

So sorry for your losses…it’s a tough road to go down. You sound like a very strong and loving person, takes courage to get to where you are today. Love your Dad, take care of him and the two of you can support and help each other in this difficult time…family is so important during these times and those precious friends that are also family…life puts us in difficult situations and how we react is so important…face each day, each hour with courage and grace

1 Like

Hi so sorry to hear about you Mum. I lost both my parents, my father when I was 18 and my Mom when I was 23. I’m 66 now. The 1st few years were very difficult. But the foundation they built for me as I was growing up really is what kept me going. I wanted to live a life that would make them proud. Some days I did and some days I didn’t but always carrief their love in my heart.
You hang on and keep moving forward. You do know that those of us who have lost a Mom are the toughest and most caring people on the planet cause that’s what Mom’s give us. Strength, courage and grace, that’s what Moms instill in us We are the lucky ones, you and me, we had the best Mum’s ever. Sending good vibes your way

1 Like