Don’t know what to do without my nanny

I lost my Nanny 3 weeks ago after a 3 year battle with Cancer, 9th May 2023 we found out it has metastasised to her brain, my world fell apart. Even though we knew she was going to die I guess I was always in denial, I had always had Nanny there was no way I’d ever have to be without her. 30 years suddenly doesn’t seem like any length of time. Nanny had always been a carer, caring for my uncle who has schizophrenia, my grandad who suffered paralysis and anyone else who needed looking after and I don’t think she ever thought she would be the one needing to be cared for, even right at the end she always had a look about her when she was being cared for in bed, moved, changed, washed that this wasn’t right and she looks mortified that it was happening to her. It was Nanny’s funeral on Monday 21st and I don’t think I really believed she had gone until the day after, it almost just felt like she was in hospital or at home in bed as she had been for the last 7 weeks of her life. I honestly do not know how I am going to get through life without her, she was everything to me.

So sorry to hear your loss. It is so painful isn’t it. Let your feelings out and talk to family and friends if you can. Don’t bottle it up. Scream, cry whatever. I lost my mum in May at aged 90 and my world fell apart. I live on my own and had done with her all my life until she went into a care home 12 months ago. I visited her every day. She needed full time care at the end and it was so sad to see her lying in bed every day. Just wasn’t what my mum wanted. I know she didn’t want to go on like that. We have to thankful for the enjoyable life they had and how much they loved us. I’m sure your nanny had a wonderful life with her family and you will have all the treasured memories of her. Take care one day at a time. It takes a long long time with grief. Read other posts on here to help you cope. It does help. We’re all in a similar position. Big hugs to you. Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. xx

1 Like

Thankyou for replying, I am so sorry for your loss. There really aren’t any words but I suppose in a way knowing there are people going through very similar to ourselves is somewhat comforting. I do find comfort knowing Nana is no longer in pain it is just so surreal. Thankyou for taking the time to reply to me :heart:

1 Like