Emigration and grief

I’ve lived in UK for 18 years, originally from Poland. My mum died 6 days ago.
I visited and she visited us and we called amost every day. My husband is British and our daughter was born in UK. I’m really struggling right now, on top of my berevement, with sense of belonging. I don’t know where my home is. My dad died 24 years ago and I have no sibilings. I have some family here in Poland and recent weeks I sort of grew roots again beacuse of how much connection I had with them. I’m really worried about how my life will be now. It feels like with mum’s passing that connection dissapeared. I feel so lonely and empty. Is anyone here with similar situation? I would love to hear your story.

1 Like

Hello @Ola13,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mum. Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m just giving your thread a gentle, “bump” for you - hopefully someone will have some thoughts to share.

Take good care,
Alex

Hi @Ola13

I understand you totally. I’m sorry for your loss.
I lost my mum 16 months ago. I live in Italy and mum was living with us when she died suddenly from a cardiac arrest. She was 85 and had heart failure but it was still unexpected and an earth shattering shock!
I’m in the process of selling her house in Uk and it’s just so tough.
In this second year of grief I’m feeling the loss of mum and the secondary loss of my hometown, our home….
I’m going back next weekend for the second time. I was over in August to clear the house and put it on the market but was too busy to reflect on the situation.
I just feel I have no anchor now …
I am also an only child so no siblings there which would possibly have made it easier. I do have friends and extended family but it’s just not the same as knowing mum was there.:cry:
Thinking of you.
Kate.xx

1 Like