Emotions

I lost my father in law very recently, ive been doing what I can to take care of my husband. Losing his father has impacted him greatly as I expected it would, though I had only known his father for 4 years I dealing with a series of emotions myself, guilt is a big one… he attempted to contact me numerous times over the past few years and although I would sometimes reply to him I often didn’t, I was too wrapped up in my own life and I missed an opportunity to get to know him better and be closer to him, its a chance I’ll never get back. His passing also has me thinking about my own father and if I should be preparing myself for when the time comes that he too passes, hes not sick but im thinking about the inevitability of it and im starting to lose sleep and having nightmares so bad that I don’t want to sleep. We went to see my father in law in the Chapel of rest today and I havent been able to get his face out of my head since, I know I need to be strong for my husbands sake but being there again brings back memories of my sons passing and seeing him laying there was a disturbing reminder.
I’m not sure what I should be feeling and what I should be doing I feel terrible for taking it so hard, my husband needs me alot and I feel like I’m letting him down with my own emotions getting in the way.
Any advice or kind words would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Hello Luna,

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your father-in-law, it sounds as though things are very tough at the moment and you are feeling overwhelmed.

I’m glad that you’ve been able to share how you are feeling here, and I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through.

Sue Ryder offers an online bereavement counselling service. This is a free service and sessions are held via video chat so you can attend from home. There’s more information about this service here: www.sueryder.org/counselling

Take care,

Michelle

Online Community team

1 Like