End of life care

Hi my mum is currently in hosp and doctors now say they can no longer treat her, I feel as if she is now being left to die and I don’t know if she is… I’m in turmoil , can anyone please let me know what I can do .

Hi Lou,

I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. It sounds as though you are feeling very lost and confused and perhaps that you don’t have all the information you need from the doctors?

Has your mum been referred to a palliative care team at all? Is there any possibility that she could be moved to a hospice or cared for at home instead of in hospital? It sounds as though it would be worth having a chat with her doctors to find out a bit more about the situation, and what options are available.

It might also be a good idea to phone the Marie Curie helpline on 0800 090 2309 - their experts can provide information and support to help you understand the situation and get the right care for your mum.

Hi priscilla, mum is being seen by the Macmillan nurses and was talk of her being moved today but not heard anything more so I’m here at hospital waiting to see someone , she’s more responsive to everything and I need more evidence that she is dying as I really can’t see it.

Hi Lou,

It’s good to hear that your mum is doing a little better, but it sounds as though that’s also quite confusing, after what you’ve heard from the doctors.

I hope that you get some more answers at the hospital today. The Macmillan nurses might be good people to help answer some of your questions, too.

I’m glad that you’ve found our Online Community, as many of our members find this a good outlet for their feelings. There are others here who understand what you are going through - hopefully some of them will be along to add their replies.

Keep posting if you find that it helps.

1 Like

Thank you priscilla

How did it go at the hospital yesterday?

Today we have a new member called Hels whose mum has terminal cancer. She is looking to chat to others with similar experiences. If you are interested in reading and maybe replying to her post, you can find it here: https://support.sueryder.org/community/dealing-diagnosis/mum-diagnosed-terminal-cancer

1 Like

Hi priscilla , things moving slowly, broke news to mum that she’s going to go to a nursing home … Heartbreaking.

I’m so sorry, that sounds really hard. I’m glad that you are chatting to Hels. I hope it helps even a little bit.

1 Like