Euros 2020 final day

I know this seems an odd title but today my husband would have been ecstatic, we both would be excited, nervous but enjoying the day. You really feel it on days like this. I’m trying my best, decorated the window, be wearing his England shirt but it’s just not the same. I wrote this poem for the team in memory of him as well. Bring it home for all our loved ones no longer here xx

4 Likes

Jude, tonight I shall be thinking of you sat there with your England shirt and flags and willing you not to cry no matter what the score line is. I am not a mad football fan but like many will watch some of it but now I have a reason to watch and think of you and your husband. Thanks for giving me a reason. Enjoy no matter what the outcome is and your poem is brilliant. Yes, come England :soccer::soccer::soccer:

2 Likes

So lovely, he’ll be with you, try to enjoy the moment. Sending hugs x

2 Likes

I know how you’re feeling, lost my Dad just over 2 months ago and we are both big football fans he was so looking forward to the Euros, we would watch every game together. I’m absolutely gutted he’s not here to see this, just heartbroken for all that he’s missing and that I can’t speak to him and enjoy the day with him. I’m trying to get through it for him, been breaking down in tears all morning and in a way I don’t want them to win so he hasn’t missed such a big event but I know he would be cheering them on from wherever he is so I will do the same for him. Thinking of you thank you for making me feel less alone today x

4 Likes

Hard isn’t it my husband would have been down his local coming home drunk how I wish he would. Sorry for your loss x

2 Likes

Kim5,
I’m sure you’re husband and everybody else’s loved ones are watching the game. 1-0 to England. SO far do good…

2 Likes

It’s strange how much a football match can cause so much grief. I lost my partner recently and he would have loved tonight in fact he would have been in his element throughout the euros. I sit here tonight alone watching the match wishing with all my heart he was here with me.

2 Likes

Lorraine G,
Sorry for your loss and pain.
I’m sure his spirit is watching the game with you. I am watching the game alone too so atleast that makes the two of us

2 Likes

Tried to watch the match but just can’t. Seeing his empty chair just hurts too much going to bed hate this life

3 Likes

Linda555,
I know it’s tough but do it for your husband. Going to bed will be worse. I’m sure he would want you to watch it with him. They are many watching the game and online like you and I dealing with grief

2 Likes

To Sheila and all who were transported back in time last night during the match.
MY Ron loved football and I have so many memories of him watching matches on holiday and with his friend at my house when he was really poorly.
Last night I drank a full bottle of wine watching England and Italy in the final. I went with someone I have been seeing recently but it was in a pub that Ron went to often and the emotions just got to me…I started to tear up and could not stop. Everything came back to me and I felt sick with loneliness. I realised that no matter if I laugh or even seem to be having a good time it is all a pretence.
I felt even worse today after the drink and realised that events like these are just going to hurt so much.

3 Likes