exhausted with bad memories

I lost my Dad 20 months ago, he had vascular dementia. I was his carer until he went into hospital for 5 weeks until they found a care home for him. Sadly he died after only 5 weeks in care.
In a way it was a blessing that he passed as he suffered so much. For the last 12 months he never knew who I was. He would ask me my name, I’d tell him, then he would say oh that’s my son’s name. It’s broken my heart.
I’m constantly replaying all the bad experiences and memories of his illness and it is so exhausting. I can’t remember when I last felt normal.

4 Likes

Hello @lfc73 ,

I can see that you’re new to the community, so I wanted to say that I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad that brings you here.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that may help right now.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

I am so sorry to hear that, you were his carer and no doubt this exhausted you but you did the right thig for him being his carer. It takes alot and not everyone can do it. My heart breaks for you that he no longer knew who you were, that must have been very hard and as you say, maybe it is a blessing with so much suffering, It doesn’t change you missing him though.

1 Like