Feel guilt for partners death

I lost a partner out of the blue due to addiction and feel it’s my fault as 2 days before, after doing everything I could to help her, I walked away from her the next time I hear about her is to be told she had died. If I hadn’t of walked away she would still be here now

Hello Maximus87,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve lost your partner because of addiction and that you are feeling so much guilt. Guilt is a very common part of grief, but it sounds as though you did everything you could to help her. Being the partner of an addict must be incredibly hard, and it is understandable that you may have been overwhelmed by the situation.

I’m glad that you’ve found this site, as it’s really important to have somewhere you can talk about your feelings. This is a really safe and supportive community and there are many others here who are going through the grief of losing a partner.

There is also an organisation called Drug Fam, which offers support to people who have lost a loved one to drug or alcohol addiction - you can give them a call on 0300 888 3853 if you need to talk, or find out more at https://www.drugfam.co.uk/bereavement/.

1 Like