Feel like I'm grieving already

My dad has been told that his original brain tumour that he had treatment for and surgery has grown a little and he has 2 new ones. He is now in a wheelchair, can’t talk very well, can’t see very well and has my mam and a carer taking care of him, I live in uk and they are in Dublin and we have been told he has months left. I feel that I’m already starting to grieve and so upset and depressed all the time. I don’t know what to do and work is suffering as a result now

Hi Louise,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I’m so sorry to hear that your dad has been given months to live.

I’m glad that you’ve found this site, as there are other people here who understand what you’re going through. For example, you might be interested in reading this recent conversation: Mum diagnosed with terminal cancer - there you can find Hels, Lou and Jayne, who are all faced with losing a parent.

This is incredibly difficult news for you, and it’s understandable that you are already starting to grieve. It must be hard for you living further away from him.

You mention that your work is suffering - is it possible that you could take some time off? You could try speaking to your GP about the impact this is having on you and see whether you can be signed off for a while.