Feeling alone - on the other side of the world

Hi all,
I am brand new to this community. I lost my mum 3 weeks ago to a rare form of cancer which she lived with for about 2.5 years. I am Australian and my husband (who I met over here) is British. I went back to Australia before she died and I was there when she passed but now I’m back to my real life here in London and I’m feeling very alone. I don’t have a massive support network here and no one I know has been through this so they don’t understand how I feel.
Actually watching my mother die was the most horrific thing I have ever had to endure and I feel shell-shocked from it. Guess I’m just wondering if there is anyone else away from their families and feeling alone trying to wade through this sea of grief?

Thanks for reading!

Hello, Rome,
Welcome to this forum where nobody wants to be.
I am sorry that you are so alone at a time when you need support from your family. In a sense, I am away from my family, our daughter and son live 80 miles from where I live in opposite directions, however, I do realise that being on the other side of the world is vastly different to my situation. Seven months ago, I found my husband of 59 years on our bedroom floor, he had died, whilst he wasn’t very well, I never expected to lose him. I hope that someone who is in your situation comes along,
Blessings
MaryL

Hi yes there are a group of us on here who chat daily who have lost a parent. I also watched my mum die. It is not something I will ever get over. I miss her so much. The pain is unbearable. And no one understands. I’m so sorry for your loss. Do you also feel like because you are so far away that it’s hard to comprehend that they are gone. I moved away from my mum a couple of years ago. I live in Cornwall and she lived with dad in Bedfordshire sometimes it feels like she is still back at home

1 Like

Thank you - if you could point me in the direction of the daily chat that would be great.

I don’t know if it’s because it’s all so new or not but yes I actually sometimes forget that she is dead and when I remember it feels like I’ve been winded. I’m also quite angry at everyone around me who’s world’s carry on unchanged when mine is in turmoil! (I know it’s not their fault) but I just feel like screaming at them!

That must have been a horrific way to find your husband I am so sorry for your loss.

1 Like

I’ll tag you in the post.

Thank you, Rome