Feeling helpless

Not done this before so bear with me! I’m lying awake in the room next to my mum, listening to her breathing, & just suddenly had the overwhelming feeling that I really don’t know how I’m going to cope. When is it time to ask for help?!

Hi Jo,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I’m so sorry to hear about your mum and that you are feeling like you can’t cope. If you are struggling, then it sounds as though asking for help is a good idea.

Are you doing this all on your own at the moment? Do you have any sort of help, either from family or professionals?

One good place to start is the Marie Curie helpline (0800 090 2309) - they offer support and advice to families affected by terminal illness, so you could discuss your mum’s needs and what you are struggling with and they could talk you through your options for support.

You could also see if you can get support from a local hospice - you can search for nearby ones here: http://www.hospiceuk.org/about-hospice-care/find-a-hospice

I’m glad that you’ve found this online community, as many of our users find it a good place to share the feelings that are difficult to talk about in real life, and to get support from others who understand. While you wait for more replies to this post, you may wish to read and reply to these posts by people in similar situations:

Saffy1 posted: Breaking - mum is in end stages

Gracieb123 posted: Losing dad