Feeling lost

Hello, I lost my grandad just a month ago and I have not been coping very well. My grandad had mixed-type dementia and so it felt like the grieving started a while back but his passing has still hit me like a tonne of bricks. The last few years a lot of responsibility was on me to coordinate grandad’s care and look after his wellbeing, even whilst doing my university studies (most of my family live abroad so i have been the only family member here in the UK that has been able to look after grandad). I dont think I realised how much of myself I gave to caring for grandad and I just feel so lost now. I miss him so much. His funeral was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I just feel completely consumed by grief and struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.

Hello @Charlie8,

Thank you for reaching out. I’m really sorry for the loss of your grandad. It sounds like you’ve been coping with so much for so long now, and your loss is so recent and raw. It’s completely understandable you’re feeling so consumed by grief. Many of our members have sadly lost a grandparent and will understand some of what you are going through.

You mention that you’re the only member of your family living in the UK. Is there anyone around you to help support you through your grief? We have some resources which you might find helpful right now:

Thank you again for reaching out. I hope you find the community to be a support to you - you are not alone.

Take care
Seaneen