Feeling so overwhelmed

I lost my husband suddenly on Feb 23rd. I feel like I am in a bad nightmare that I cannot wake up from. I have my three children to look after so I have to find a way to keep going. How do people do this? It feels like it’s impossible to even put one foot in front of the other. My family life is over and everything feels unmanageable.

6 Likes

Sorry for your loss

It’s very early, and you have to focus on one thing at a time with tunnel vision, not look beyond today - it’s just too overwhelming at this stage.

There’s no easy answers or right or wrong way - focus on the tasks for today and do whatever you have to, to find some sort of comfort - a very relative concept - whatever that may be

Stay strong

3 Likes

@Cattia - so sorry you’ve joined this club but you have come to the right place for support. It must be so very hard having three children to look after on top of everything that has happened. As I think others have already said, at this very early stage you really do have to take it one hour at a time. I hope you have supportive family and friends it’s not easy asking for help but you must if you can, especially with the children - sounds like they must all still be quite young? As you yourself said you do - and you will - find a way to keep going. I won’t lie, it’s the most awful of places to find yourself especially when it was sudden and unexpected - it was the same for me. Keep checking in to this site as even just reading what other people say can help a lot x

1 Like

Day at a time, hour at a time if you have to. As my mum used to say to me … baby steps xx

Thank you for your kind words. It’s the most intensely awful feeling, I never knew anything could feel Iike this. I hate every second and I just want it to stop. It comes in waves, and when it washes over me I just feel like I could die, it’s simply awful. It does give me some comfort to know that people here understand what it feels like, although I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

1 Like

Yep thats just how it is :frowning: its a phydical paun isn’t it… i was told lots of self care … baths shower, resting etc. Take care xxx

• physical pain

I’m sorry for you loss.

My husband unexpectedly passed away following surgery on the 9th Feb, he was 43. I felt, and still feel, like my world has been shattered and I don’t know how to carry on, I too felt like this was a bad nightmare and I’d wake up and tell him, and he’d give me a hug and say he’s never leaving me., The pain is unbearable. And you have grieving children to look after, so that makes it harder. Every day is a struggle still but I take it one hour at a time and have very supportive family and friends. I hope you have that too, I came across this forum not long after he passed, and I think it’s helped to hear from other people who have experienced loss, as those that haven’t are sorry for your suffering, but then their life carries on, and that can be hard to realise too.

You will find an inner strength that you didn’t know you had to get you through the days

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss.
My husband also died on 23rd February
The pain is unbearable and very raw, but I dont know how you cope with young children too.
Its still early days for us but I am finding some comfort from this community.
The grief is overwhelming and I wonder if I’ll ever get over it but with help iI will try to move on, and you will too, for the sake of your children you must go on.
I feel so sad for you