Finances

How does everyone cope financially ?
I lost my husband just over a year ago on 7th August 2021 and I am struggling more than ever. I have gone from having 2 wages coming in to a half as I still cannot bring myself to go back to work full time. He had no life insurance so I still have a mortgage to pay on top of all the other rising bills. There is absolutely nothing I am entitled to apart from the 25% council reduction and the £100/month bereavement support payment which will be ending in a few months. I really don’t know how I can carry on, how does everyone else cope ?

3 Likes

Have you contacted citizens advice. They will help you find out what you are entitled to. Unfortunately the government do not make it easy they do not let us know what we are entitled to we have to find out. I think this is wrong especially when we have lost partners. Life is hard enough to deal with. Sending a huge hug xx

2 Likes

Hi @Gill2412
I was in the same position as you, only difference I pay rent for my home, but I do work part-time 28 hours per week term time only. I applied and got universal credit, have you tried that.
My bereavement support has just stopped last month. With careful budgeting I can still just about manage.
I know it’s hard when you suddenly find you have lost not only the love of your life, but your security in life too. X

3 Likes

Apparently I am not entitled to anything, is this because I own my own home. If I can just get through the next 4.5 years I will be fine, that’s when mortgage will be paid off x

1 Like

The other way to release income would be to pay interest only on your mortgage. Your mortgage would be much less and you would manage better and may be able to stay part time x

1 Like

I too am not entitled to anything as I own my home, fortunately I am mortgage free. If I had to pay that I would really struggle. I have enough to live on and can pay my bills without difficulty but to put anything away for a rainy day is a struggle. I have a spreadsheet of everything i need to pay out and stick to that so am managing. As I dealt with most of the finances when he was alive it wasn’t too difficult for me to sort out. I haven’t been on my own for long ,10 months to be exact but I am coping

Hi Gill
What a worry for you. You have however been given some good advice so don’t give up and take a look at all of it and do contact the Citizens Advice as they can also help you with sorting out your bills. If you don’t ask you don’t get. !!!
I have only recently found out that by internet/phone bills were much higher than I needed to pay as the package we had which was organised by my husband some years ago they no longer did and only by me making enquiries as to why it was going up was I helped and I now pay a lot less. Why wasn’t I told this ages ago as they had stopped doing the package I was on and been informed of my husbands death.
Good luck