Finding it hard to accept the loss of my Dad

Hi,
I lost my Dad, my rock, my best friend in April. He was fit and healthy and suddenly became unwell and was admitted to hospital with an infection purely because he became delirious from the infection. Other than that he was absolutely fine. Then he got another infection whilst in hospital and suffered Septic Shock and had to be admitted to ITU. Then he got another infection and Covid and suddenly his body was not strong enough to deal with it all and we watched him get worse and worse each day for 10 days until he passed. It was so unexpected, I still can’t get my head around it or accept what happened.
I miss him so much. My Mum and my sisters say they can’t talk about it. I am desperate to talk to them about how I feel as they are the only people that feel the same about him and would understand but they are finding it too difficult and are dealing with it in their own way. It always was just me and my Dad in the family that wore our hearts on our sleeves!
As time is going on I am finding it more and more difficult to cope with losing my amazing and funny and non-judgmental Dad who cared so deeply for us.
I also feel so selfish. It’s a normal part of life to lose a parent, how dare I feel so much pain and that I am unable to cope when some people lose a child, or a parent when they are really young etc.
Thanks

2 Likes

Hi I am so sorry for your loss. I know just how you feel. I lost my Dad to Covid too last October and I honestly feel as if it’s getting harder not easier. He was my rock. He caught Covid and I heard on the phone him getting slowly worse, then admitted to hospital, then into ICU, then I got the call to go and say goodbye. My Mum couldn’t go as she was Covid positive too. I sat alone with him as he struggled to breathe then I watched him slip away. Some days I just don’t know how to function. I spoke to him every day and I just can’t cope. Sorry I am not any help to you just wanted to say you aren’t alone I know just how you feel.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. i recently lost my Mum. Losing a parent is so painful.

But one thing I will say is your feelings are genuine and definitely not selfish! Grief isn’t competitive or have a hierarchy like top trumps. Your grief is personal to you and desperately painful. What you will find meeting people on here is the pain is the same whether you have lost someone young, old, partner, friend, family - grief is a nasty, painful leveller. Yes circumstances may differ and may make it a different journey we take but the actual nugget of pain - that’s the thing we all have in common and we don’t need to beat ourselves up or think we should be doing better because someone else has a different kind of bereavement.

Be kind to yourself. If you can’t let your feelings out in the family setting yet let them out here or one of the resources you can find on here.

Beki x

3 Likes

Hi,

I lost my dad unexpectedly in 4 days/11th august 2020 (I was 23 and my dad 50).
He got sick out of nowhere and after 3 full days in the hospital with 2 days on the ICU we needed to stop his treatment.
He had sepsis, a infection, kept asleep (coma) and all his organs were failing but his body was to weak to undergo treatment.
And in that time I couldn’t go to the hospital bc of covid.
And I didn’t want to see him in this state.

If you wanna talk, my messages are always open.

Stay strong and wish you all the best.

Janine.

1 Like

Oh honestly you are a help because how you feel is how I feel so thankyou so much for sharing! It just feels so unfair doesn’t it. My heart goes out to you lovely and am feeling your pain. Thank you again x I’m not any help either as I don’t know how to get past this but we may get some help together on here and at least you have helped me to know that you (we) are not alone in our feelings :slight_smile: hug to you xxx

Thank you so much and bless you am so sorry to hear about your Mum. You have helped me to accept that my feelings are ok to share despite the older age of Dad so thankyou so much. I really appreciate that, you have no idea! Sending you best wishes too xxx

1 Like

Oh bless you Janine, I am so sorry to hear what you have been through. Covid has made everything feel so unfair. It’s strange as was only me and Dad that sat with my grandparents over the years in their dying hours as the rest of my family couldn’t face it and yet when it came to Dad’s time and I couldn’t get there in time. I beat myself up about that but actually, maybe that was meant to be? I dont know though because I feel like you that if I was there at the time I would be able to accept it more.
A thought came into my head today…I have been crying my eyes out for the last few days about it all…the thought was “Celebrate my life and the person I was for you”. I dunno if that came from Dad or inside myself but it’s a good point so I am going to try.
Thankyou lovely and sending you hugs xx

2 Likes

Hi there! I totally understand how you feel. I lost my dad June 5th 2022. I was a daddy’s girl, he was 74. You can read my story on here. It is definitely a tough journey. I miss him so much, but you are not selfish. No matter what age you loose a parent it is always hard. There is definitely a hole that is left inside you. I am always here for you or anyone else on here. Make sure and be kind to yourself! 🫂 hugs to you and everyone on here!

1 Like

I lost my dad too on June 1st this year. I’m absolutely devasted, just don’t know what to do with myself. I loved that man with all my heart, I’m so broken

Cathy you came to the right place! I know exactly how you feel as do most people on here. I loved my dad with my whole heart. I know it will be a long road to travel to feel better, but know everyone on here is or has gone through the same thing and understands. Hang in there, and I am sorry for the loss of your dad! It helps me to talk about it. I hope you have a good people around you for support. Luckily I have a wonderful husband, friends, and my love of my life German Shepherd Thor…AKA comfort dog…hugs to you!