First social outing

Nine and a half weeks since my husband had a cardiac arrest, they put him into an induced coma from which he never recovered and he died 6 weeks ago.
Life has been pretty grim since then.
I am going out for the first time today for lunch with a widowed lady my son introduced me to. I used to be fairly sociable and confident but that changed when my husband died. I have been to the local supermarket a few times with my son, and once I was alone. The thought of walking into a pub today is unnerving to say the least.
We didn’t have many friends as my husband was very shy, most people probably thought he was unsociable, but he was just very private and quiet. I think my social skills are a bit rusty and I have definitely become a bit of a hermit. I am even scared of driving now.
I suppose I have to start somewhere with trying to build a life without him, but it is a scary world on your own.
Xx

5 Likes

Good on you!
I’m sure the thought will be more terrifying than the actual doing and I hope you enjoy at least some of it.
We’re all behind you… just remember to breathe… :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I hope you enjoy the time together, try to relax a bit. The other lady will probably also be a bit nervous. Let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

I hope it goes ok @Willow112
It’s a step forward that you are taking and although it may be difficult and very anxiety provoking, it is a really positive thing to do.
And hopefully something you might even enjoy and look to do more of in the future. Xx

3 Likes

Its really scary having to do things on your own when you’ve always had your husband next to you. I was meeting a friend for pub lunch and he was going to be late. I had to talk myself into walking into pub ,kept telling myself you can do this over and over. There was a table booked so it wasnt so bad. I sat at the table and waited for him to arrive, i think the not knowing what to do is worse than the doing if the makes sense. On monday i had to get a train from Nottingham to london for the first time on my own . Of course i didn’t slepp the night before but once there it was ok and i know it will be easier next time

2 Likes

Very well done! that’s a huge step. Hope you enjoy it, or at least a little, as it will be hard.

1 Like

Well, I went, and it was fine. Better than that, I quite enjoyed it. I felt very self-conscious walking into a pub without my husband. I was also on the point of leaving when the waitress took me to a table I had sat at the last time I was there with my husband. But. I didn’t leave, I sat down. The lady I was with has been widowed 18 months, and as soon as we started chatting I found most of my misery leaving me. It was a nice little break from the constant grief and tears.
We agreed to do it again soon. I think it was probably the longest period I have had whilst awake that I didn’t cry.
Xx

12 Likes

If like me and your husband has a sudden heart attack it’s the ones like ours that go in iCU and put in an induced coma after my Nick was but just two days I found that difficult no one really tells you that can happen after heart attack I found the icu experience hideous and one I won’t forget for along time , I remember the hopes going up and down and then watching the life support being switched off and knowing it was going to be switched off ! I think “how the hell did we get through that “! So I guess we will get through the next stage 12 weeks for me , glad you went out , I have already done a few social trips , and yes it’s strange but you do feel good afterwards x

1 Like

So pleased for you!! :heart:

1 Like

Thats lovely @Willow112
Well done x

1 Like

You are an inspiration

1 Like

I think one of the most difficult things is the rollercoaster. I have a couple of good days but then there always seems to be a dip. Just as I start to feel a bit less confused and more in control, something happens to throw me off course. Then the shaky hands and mental fog descends. Hopefully the waves will get smaller and further apart.
Love and hugs xx

2 Likes

My husband also had sudden heart attack on the sofa! The paramedics did bring him back BUT then the most hideous 2 days in icu , false hope ups and downs , and had to watch his life support being turned off ! 13 weeks for me x

1 Like

We were in bed, he was asleep. 15 minutes of CPR before help arrived. They got his heart started and I naively thought he would make it. They put him in a coma, different doctor and different prognosis every day. Still, I thought he would come home eventually, although I expected him to be poorly and probably damaged. Eventually it became obvious that he would not regain consciousness. Two weeks later they turned off the life support, he lived another 6 days and eventually died in the early hours when I was not there.
Xx

1 Like

That’s just hideous for you , when they turned off my husbands life support he was gone in 10 mins, x

1 Like