First Steps

I lost my mum 4 months ago in November 2023, and I’m struggling so much. I have family and friends who assure me that they are all here for me, but I know that I need more support. Today marks the first step that I have taken in reaching out to people outside of my little bubble. It took a lot for me to even just sign up for an account here…but after reading some of the stories that people have shared, I already feel a little less alone. I know that there are some other things that I need to do, including making an appointment to see my GP (another thing that I’m finding hard to do). But I’m glad that I have taken this first small step to dealing with my grief and beginning the healing process.
Did anyone else find it hard making this first step?

4 Likes

I had no idea that this type of site existed, so I’ve embraced it. I’m not on any social media, maybe that’s why I spend a lot of time here.
Other people seem to have no idea what we are all going through, or they’ve moved on from it and don’t wish to be reminded of their own sad times.
My GP offered me counselling, which I needed 2 years ago, but don’t want it atm. I wouldn’t go down the drugs route as, for me, it just masks the pain and later catches you up.
Go for it, ask for help. X

2 Likes

I tried counselling a few years ago, for a different reason. I didn’t feel like it was right for me, as I was finding it really hard to speak to someone face to face about my problems. I’ve been hearing lots of adverts on the radio for Sue Ryder, and today was the day that I decided to go for it.
Just reading the replies to stories and questions that people have posted, has made me realise that I made the right decision today in joining the community.
Thank you for taking the time to read my story and reply :heart:

4 Likes

Im sorry for your loss xx

My mum also passed Nov 23 . Finding it hard to move on, I was her carer as well as daughter and feel lost.
I find this site helpful as dont feel so alone with my feelings. I go swimming when i feel stressed or on edge which is neally everyday. Was thinking of going docs but going to see how i feel.
You are not alone keep posting xxx

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your message. Having a few people reply to my very first post has really meant a lot, so I definitely will stay on the site xx

1 Like

Hi @Steph44, it took me a while before I felt ready to join this kind of community. Like you, I’m grateful for the support from my family and friends, but it’s not the same as speaking to people who are going through it x