Firsts

It’s been 8weeks today since I lost my dad. Tomorrow is my sons 10th birthday and I’m feeling particularly emotional sorting all the party stuff out today… Normally this is my kind of thing but I’m dreading being around all the other parents in this setting tomorrow! Birthday parties are my bag and my kids love the effort, thankfully I had planned it all before my dad died but the actual “execution” of it all feels like the run-up to my dad’s funeral again. Any tips on getting through these 2hrs tomorrow?

2 Likes

Thank you, now I never thought of ‘lasts’…we didn’t know they were our lasts when they happened sadly.

Equally as hard but sounds like you’re making the most of every minute you can. How emotional that your husband could be there for a few hours​:heart::people_hugging: a monumental birthday too - a teenager! Sending love & hugs x

1 Like

It’s just coming up to11 weeks since my soul mate of 35 years passed and today is my birthday. I woke up to an empty flat with no one to share the start of my day with. I’m lucky, my daughters and granddaughter have taken me out for a birthday lunch. Together with our great granddaughter who was one two days ago. It doesn’t stop the pain, but it does make it more bearable. I’m now at one of my daughters and tomorrow she and my SIL are taking me away for a week’s holiday. I feel guilty to be going away to enjoy a break but I know he would have wanted me to go (the holiday was planned before he died) and he would not have been coming as he did not enjoy being away from home

@Annde to be parted from your other half on your birthday must feel so sadly strange… Yes you have lots of lovely family around you but with 35years together, there’s no comparison to the love you shared with your soul mate. :people_hugging:
My mum was blessednwith 54years together with my dad and he told her to go on a holiday next year with me… We will be doing it but know what you mean about the guilt x

1 Like

Thank you , the first ‘firsts’ of many over the next year I guess. Some I am dreading more than others

@Buddleia9 Hi, I lost my Dad in March & I still struggle to even write that. We’ve had a good succession of firsts. Birthdays, anniversaries etc. the next big one is Christmas, which I’m dreading. My advice to you to get thru tomorrow’s big event is to try not to think about your loss, but to postpone your grief until the evening. Keep it all about your son & you’ll welcome the distraction at least for a while. I seem to spend my evenings still crying when I think I don’t have a Dad anymore. I hope tomorrow goes well for him.X

2 Likes

I’ve just finished my year of “firsts” I won’t lie it was so hard it nearly broke me but one of things that got me through was my mum watched my children get to where they are and she will keep watching. It sounds like you and dad had a fantastic relationship so just keep that in your mind. He’s there for your son and you and he would want the most awesome day ever for his grandson. I’m so very sorry for your loss but keep your chin up and smile when you can, it’s the best way to remember our loved ones and keep them in our hearts x

1 Like