Going back to Work ???

Hi I know it’s different for everyone but when did you return to work after your losses ?

My husband passed on 27th of November after 3 weeks in ICU following a car accident in Miami on our “dream” holiday. It was another week until we came back home to the UK 1 week before my 60th birthday. At the moment I can’t get through a couple of Hours without crying & I can’t contemplate being able to cope at work.

I’m meeting my boss for lunch on Thursday & I know he’s going to ask about returning.

1 Like

Hi Sue, as you say it’s different for everyone, I went back to work about six weeks after my husband passed. I worked in the school my own children attended and I think for me being around young children helped. Only you can decide when the time is right for you and I hope your employer will respect this. Best wishes to you whatever your decision. Take care.

1 Like

I went back to work 2 weeks after my brother died. Managed to keep myself composed through the day but ended up sobbing for hours afterwards. It just seems too normal and I suddenly felt so out of place. Really not engaged in the work issues.

It helped to keep me busy but I think it was too soon.

1 Like

i knew about my husband’s illness being terminal since May; i was on antidepressants. i took time off work almost the whole of June. my hisband passed away on yhe 20th August. kids and i went away again to spend time woth family flowing the funeral and we all returned to school (i too work at a school and find my job very rewarding and distracting) in october. I am a lot less “productive” …i generally almost suck at work but i try my best.
i sometimes struggle to go through the work days, i want to ve hime and have time to myself but on the other hand i suppose i mt would mean having too much time to think and worry.

i said i sometimes suck at work atm (well, i have a very low confidence too!) but i still try to do my best and always think that if i really can’t do my job properly i will speak to my boss and ask to go home. my work is very supportive.

1 Like

i do get days when i get in late.i avoid people. i happened to go home early, sobbing.
but the positives are that im up, dressed, not home ob my own growing my depression but a
surrounded by kind people and busy doing what i (used to-and hopefully still) love. also it makes me eat more regularly than i would.

1 Like

Thank you Bonnie - I know I need to think of returning as it will be a diversion. I’m still trying to come to terms with losing my lovely Terry and I still feel very raw & am breaking down quite a lot. I work in a lovely team but in quite a big company & just thinking of returning just now is overwhelming. They had said to take all the time I need & not to worry. It’s good to read of others experiences in this awful club I’m now a member of. Many thanks. x

1 Like

Thanks Marta it’s nice that your work are so understanding. I know that my work will be supportive of me once I return. I have an hours commute both ways & the thought of that at the moment is also too much. I feel like I’m getting worse now the enormity of it all is sinking in.

1 Like