Grief and ( female) hormones.

This might be a bit a weird one to discuss, or at least I find it a bit weird. My emotions are like a rollercoaster, my monthly hormones are up& down and also my anxiety is out of control. My father passed away in the summer of 2023. I don’t know if what I experience is because of my bereavement or maybe it has triggered the perimenopause as I am mid 40ties. I feel very confused and I have spoken to my GP about it but don’t know what to do or think about it. Is it physical, emotional or both? I feel confused.

2 Likes

Hi Nadine,

Sorry - I also lost my lovely dad in 2023. Every day is painful.

How do you know that your hormones are up and down?

Hi @Burgled. I haven’t done any bloodtest. I just notice it throughout the month. For example my mood swings, they have never been this extreme.

1 Like

Emotional and physical are all interlinked - its all just one body. So a big emotional impact definitely has an effect on the body. I know that it releases cortisol (the stress hormone) but i dont know if it can affect things like oestrogen. How is your sleep and diet following your bereavement? If these have been affected then that also is going to have a knock on effect with your hormonal balance. When i was researching online how to balance hormones, regular sleep patterns was one of the top factors that appeared in every article! Im not yet menopausal but i now take a magnesium and vitamin supplement specifically aimed at hormonal balance which helps. The GP should also be able to offer a blood test to detect if you are perimenopausal.

1 Like

I’m on the pill which stopped my periods but when my mum died I bled for almost a month. I think grief definitely affects us hormonely. It did settle down but my body was totally out of whack for months.

1 Like

After being on hrt for 8 months (with no periods for over 10 years) my mum died, sending my stress levels and anxiety through the roof………4 months later I’ve experienced two monthly very short bleeds, really freaked me out at the time but have settled again. So I’d say yes to both the physical and emotional sides for my experience of grief.

Hiya my dad passed away july 23 i miss him everyday and live for the idea hed be proud of me. I find my mums denial in accepting her grief so hard, she doesn’t understand me, also im 52 and on hrt but some weeks i feel im back on day 1 of loosing him and i just cant focus xxx

Sorry for your loss, I think what you describe is really common….feels like a long time, and also feels like yesterday is something said quite a lot amongst the grieving it seems.
It is so difficult to feel completely understood, the fact that we all feel it differently makes it that way. And trying to understand your mums reaction isn’t really helping you cause you can’t….I have had a different experience in my loss than my brother…blows my mind how polar opposite it seems sometimes :woman_shrugging:t2:Keep going, allow yourself those crappy days, you’ve suffered a huge loss and it doesn’t just go away.x

1 Like

Thank you it realy helps that people do understand me, , i even nooked bowling last night for 5 forgetting theres only 4 of us now xx

2 Likes